Position Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Intern
Team : Operations
Reports to : Global Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Lead
Period: Feb 2018 to May 2018
About Asylum Access
Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in five countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access is the only global organization working to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Our unique combination of five integrated strategies provides grassroots assistance and changes the legal landscape for refugees and their host communities. By helping refugees assert their rights, we are putting power back into their hands. Our work transforms the traditional approach of endless humanitarian handouts to a sustainable solution that gives refugees the tools to provide for themselves and make choices about their own lives.
Asylum Access envisions a world where refugees are seen as people with rights, not just people with needs. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Intern joins the global monitoring and evaluation team, and will assist in both ongoing and project-based work. Potential projects include assisting in quarterly reporting procedures, building reporting capabilities, and working on a holistic review of Asylum Access’s monitoring and evaluation system. As part of this position, there will be an opportunity to engage with both Asylum Access headquarters and and national operations staff, and to get a firsthand look at how an international organization tracks and evaluates the quality of its work.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to
- Assisting in producing quarterly reports for Asylum Access’s national operations in Ecuador, Mexico, Thailand, Malaysia, and Tanzania
- Assisting in communicating quarterly results to national operations and Asylum Access leadership
- Building tools for easy understanding of and access to monitoring and evaluation data
- Building reporting capabilities in program databases
- Completing interim data quality checks and reviewing progress towards indicators
- Assisting in a holistic review of Asylum Access’s monitoring and evaluation system
- Other duties as assigned by the Global Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Lead
- Prior experience in monitoring and evaluation at a nonprofit
- Prior experience working with programs for refugees
- Intermediate Excel skills
- Coursework in statistics
- Some experience with qualitative or quantitative data collection and/or analysis
- Genuine interest in how nonprofits can understand the effectiveness of their programs
- High level of attention to detail
- Solid organizational skills; ability to manage projects to completion
- Ability to and interest in working both independently and collaboratively
- Interest in international human rights and/or refugee rights and/or related topics
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Candidate should be culturally sensitive
- Basic working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, Microsoft Office and related tools (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
Hours and Location of Work
This position will require 10-15 hours of work per week. Remote work is a possibility but will be negotiated on an individual basis. Schedule and hours are somewhat flexible and official committed hours and work time will be formalized between the selected candidate and the position supervisor.
Compensation This is a part-time, unpaid internship.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your cover letter, please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, and how you learned about the position.
Asylum Access is an equal employment opportunity employer. Applicants in need of accommodation during the interview can contact HR at email@example.com.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment