The Hernández After School Program is seeking volunteers to support our Academic Acceleration Academy program Mondays-Wednesdays from 3:30-5:00. The Academy is an after school program for 5th-8th grade students that provides a calm and welcoming environment for homework completion, academic enrichment, and extra learning from guest speakers, games, and fun projects. The program creates a safe space for students to be comfortable asking questions and grow in their sense of belonging, and ultimately aims to improve student performance in the classroom.
A typical day in Academy consists of:
- a team building warm-up activity
- 15-20 minutes of homework time
- an academic-focused game or art project (writing journals, Jeopardy, public speaking practice, word searches)
- free time on the playground or in the gym
Volunteers support the Academy’s programming by building positive relationships with students, encouraging students to remain engaged and focused, and facilitating activities.
- Volunteer for one day of program per week (Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday) from 3:30pm-5:00pm
- Tutor and mentor middle school students individually and in small groups
- Assist in leading team-building games and academically-focused activities
- Maintain a respectful and positive attitude at all times
- Experience working with young people
- Desire to work hard and show initiative
- Ability to act as a role model to youth
- Some level of Spanish preferred, but not required
Please email Katie at katie@friendsofthehernandez or call 617-635-8187x150 if you are interested in this opportunity.
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday from 3:30pm-5:00pm