Seal Rescue Ireland is a very busy marine animal rescue and rehabilitation facility located in
Courtown, Co. Wexford. It is the only seal rehabilitation facility in Ireland and responds to strandings
nationwide. Most distresses seal calls are for Grey and Common Seal pups which have been injured,
orphaned or ill. The facility is currently accepting applications for their internships starting in Autumn,
Winter and Spring. This is a full time position for a minimum of 12 weeks, however priority will be
given to candidates who can stay longer.
Reports to: Animal Care Manager
Job Summary: The position provides the intern with hands on rescue and rehabilitation experience
with stranded marine mammals. The candidate is responsible for assisting in the daily care and
maintenance of rehabilitation animals. Interns will spend half their time in the hospital and the other
half of their time assisting with education, fundraising and clerical tasks. The variation of
responsibilities allows interns a broad understanding and practice of what it takes to operate a wildlife
hospital and charity organization. Each intern will be responsible for independently planning one
fundraiser project. Interns that excel may be offered higher levels of responsibility coordinating one of
the programs as an added chance to develop specialized skill sets.
Requirements: For consideration, applicants must have a background or interest in areas of study
such as Pre-Vet, Biology, Zoology, Marine Biology or other animal related field. Applicants must have
the ability to understand and follow written and oral instruction, and have effective communication
skills. Applicants should be agile with a good sense of balance in order to maneuver around the
exhibits and holding areas, and must be able to lift 25 kilograms. Applicants must possess the ability
to adapt to an ever-changing work environment, and be available to work long hours, nights,
weekends and holidays. Public speaking skills are highly encouraged. Previous animal care and
handling skills are preferred.
* Daily animal diet preparations and routine cleaning of enclosures and work areas.
* Assist with rescue and release of stranded animals.
* Take shifts overseeing the stranding hotline and coordinating seal rescue and transport
* Assist in the care and maintenance of the Centre’s rehabilitation animals (feeding, restraining,
medical treatment, daily care)
* Help to ensure that the clinic and quarantine area is stocked and prepared to receive animals.
* Maintain and update medical records.
* Provide assistance to the Manager and rehabilitation staff as needed.
* Assisting with fundraisers and educational events
* Assisting with clerical duties and office work as needed (it is a small rehabilitation centre so you
will gain experience in all aspects of how a rehabilitation centre operates)
* Participate in educational talks and tours.
* Performs other duties relating to the Center’s goals and mission statement as required.
This is an unpaid position. Intern housing is available for 85 Euro/week for a first come first serve
basis (including food). Interns are responsible for all travel expenses.
Send a resume and cover letter and available dates to:
Attention: Animal Care and Education Internship (Volunteer) email@example.com
Telephone: 087 461 3798 www.sealrescueireland.org
Find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/sealrescueireland
- Animal Care / Handling
- Habitat Restoration
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- minimum 3 months full time
- Previous Animal Handling a bonus