The overall goal of the VISTA Community Garden Coordinator is to increase knowledge, skills, production and utilization of traditional foods and small scale gardening in a unique partnership between the Community Food Bank of Southern Arizona and the San Xavier Cooperative Farm, located on the Tohono O’Odham Nation. The VISTA will incorporate these practices in order to improve individual health and create opportunities for community gathering and physical activity at the San Xavier Cooperative Farm. The VISTA will deepen existing partnerships, expand community knowledge and support for program efforts, create culturally appropriate educational opportunities and increase volunteer engagement around food and health.
The project utilizes AmeriCorps*VISTA members in the following capacities: Conduct outreach to rural and tribal events to increase community engagement in San Xavier Cooperative Farm and CFB garden and farm opportunities. Create and implement educational curriculum to increase growing and use of traditional foods. Develop a comprehensive took kit that the farm and other organizations can use to increase awareness.
The Sponsoring organization is the Association of Arizona Food Banks.
Benefits for VISTA members: Educational or stipend award upon successful completion of the program; 10 Personal Days and 10 sick days; Childcare assistance if eligible; Health coverage; Living allowance; Relocation allowance; Student loan forbearance and deferment if eligible; Professional Development Training with partner organizations; One year of non-competitive eligibility for federal government positions upon completion of service
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- This is a one year VISTA project
- US citizen, national or legal resident;
- Help spread the word at...
- Love to garden? Help with ours!
- Help feed Tucson's hungry
- Meal preparation for Seniors
- VISTA Community Garden Coordinator
- Transportation assistant -- help...
- Help greet people at food pantry
- Busy reception desk needs help
- Help at our Farmers Market booth
- Video whiz? Help tell the Food...
- Bilingual? The Food Bank needs you
- Like working with data? We could...
- Grants Associate
- Outreach to Faith communities
- Teach families about food and...
- Food Bank Site Monitor