The FARM Institute is located on the historic Katama Farm, a farm that dates to the early 1900s. With their help, the Edgartown Conservation Commission became the landlord of Katama Farm, conserving its history and future as a working farm. This position will be held on Wednesdays and Fridays, from March 1, 2018 through June 2018 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. Come learn more about farming as you work alongside our farm staff. Many skills you learn will be transferable to your own home gardens.
- Assist with greenhouse duties including, but not limited to cleaning trays, seeding, watering seedlings, repotting of seedlings, filling trays for seeding, fertilizing and hardening plants off
- Assist with cleaning up at the end of the day and organizing tools and equipment
- Maintain hygienic greenhouse conditions to stifle the growth of weeds, pests, and plant disease within the greenhouse
- Wear closed toe shoes always while working in the greenhouse. We also suggest that you wear long pants, however to do so is optional. Because the greenhouse can be very bright, we also suggest wearing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Don’t forget your water bottle!
- Maintain communication with the farm crew and the farmer
- Log volunteer hours
- Prior greenhouse experience is a plus, but not essential
- Willingness to learn and work hard is required
- Ability to stand for entirety of shift
- Ability to lift 25lbs.
- Must have legible handwriting and the ability to read a spreadsheet
- Knowledge of horticulture is helpful, but not required
- Minimum age: 18 years old
We ask for a seasonal commitment from March 1 - June 2018 Wednesdays and/or Fridays from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m.
The FARM Institute, 14 Aero Ave., Edgartown, MA 02539
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, firstname.lastname@example.org
To explore other volunteer opportunities, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Seasonal, March - June, Wed or Fri, 9-12
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Communications Intern - Francis...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Event Assistant - Weir River Farm
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Farm Educator Volunteer -...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Field Assistant Volunteer -...
- Communications Outreach...
- Children's Public Program...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- April Vacation Week Assistant -...
- Property Ambassador - Francis...
- Painter Volunteer - Charles...
- Hen Helper - The Farm Institute
- Property Ambassador - Eleanor...