Are you a college or graduate student in History, Marketing, Museum Studies, Museum Education, Public History, or a related field?
We have opportunities for students and recent grads that believe in our mission!The mission of this Society shall be to preserve and communicate, to residents and visitors, the history and spirit of those who have lived in and near the City of Flat Rock from the beginning of human habitation or its vision, and to bring our community together for the enjoyment, discovery, and learning of our past to create our future.
Opportunities: Work with collections to help catalog artifacts and populate our PastPerfect database. Assist with conservation. Research objects and local history to improve collections information, contribute to the newsletter, and enhance exhibits and education programs. Assist with the creation of exhibits. Facilitate visits including school group visits, scouts, senior citizen trips, and general visitors. Assist with the planning and implementation of special events, including open houses. Assist with marketing to attract new audiences.
Time: Length of internships and number of hours can be flexible. Most work takes place during the week, but events can occur during weekends and evenings.
Academic Credit: With approval from your academic supervisor. Our internships are unpaid learning experiences on a volunteer-basis.
Location: Flat Rock, MI. Approximately 30 miles southwest of Detroit, 35 miles southeast of Ann Arbor.
How to Apply: If you are interested in applying for an internship, send Lesley Harkai, our curator, an email (email@example.com) with INTERNSHIP in the subject heading.
Please include in your email:
- Your full contact details, including: Name, email address, and phone number.
- Your resume or links to an online portfolio of your work, if available.
- A short paragraph on EACH of the following:
- your education and museum experience,
- research interests,
- career goals, and
- why you want to work with the Flat Rock Historical Museum, including how you would help us advance our mission and work.
- Attach at least one, but no more than three, writing samples. We prefer writing samples that showcase at least one of the following:
- Your ability to write for blogs or media,
- Your ability to conduct sound academic research,
- Your ability to design engaging educational or social media content, and/or
- Your ability to write exhibition content, such as object narratives, but - more importantly - your ability to tell a story about an object or artwork.
Please visit our website ( http://flatrockhistory.org/ ), Facebook, and Instagram (@flatrockmuseum) to see examples of the work we do.
- People Skills
- Library Sciences
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Flexible, may include some evenings and weekends
- Experience/Education in museum work