The nutrition instructor will serve as a teacher and role model, teaching and reinforcing key messages about healthy eating and inspiring participants to adopt healthy eating habits.
- Teach low-income participants basic healthy eating and food budgeting messages, according to the highlighted objectives of each lesson. Messages include: eating from MyPlate food groups; choosing more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; planning balanced meals; reading food labels; and making budget-friendly choices at the store.
- Facilitate class discussions on each message, allowing participants to brainstorm how they might put new behaviors into action, discuss barriers to adopting new behaviors, and share ideas with their peers for overcoming barriers.
- Select and implement hands-on activities that allow participants to practice key skills and feel more comfortable implementing new healthy behaviors.
- Nutrition training at an accredited institution. Registered Dietitians, Certified Diabetes Educators, DTRs, Health Coach, and/or persons with a four-year degree in nutrition, food science, dietetics, or related field preferred. Dietetic interns and are encouraged to apply.
- Interest and comfort in working with low-income individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Comfortable speaking in front of groups (average class size is 12 participants).
- Ability to travel to class location.
- Willingness to be trained on CM curricula, to work as a team with volunteer chef, and to adhere to program policies and team decisions.
- At least 2-4 hours for training and orientation to Cooking Matters before teaching your first class.
- At least 3 hours per week for each Cooking Matters class: ½ hour for class set up, the 2-hour Cooking Matters class, and ½ hour for class cleanup. Participants spend approximately ½ hour each week preparing for class independently, outside of class hours.
- Must commit to all 6 weeks of the course
- Cooking / Catering
- Adult Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- see summary for commitment