Morven Museum & Garden Docent & Volunteer Opportunities!
56 people are interested
Volunteer Opportunities at the Morven Museum & Garden:Docents, Administrative, Event, or Garden Volunteers!
A National Historic Landmark, Morven Museum & Garden is situated on five pristine acres in the heart of Princeton, New Jersey. The mansion-turned-museum was home to not only one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, Richard Stockton, and his descendants, enslaved peoples, and workers, but also Robert Wood "General" Johnson Jr, and five former New Jersey Governors families, staffs, and important visitors and showcases the rich cultural heritage of New Jersey through regular exhibitions, educational programs and special events.History
Morven has played a role in the history of New Jersey and the nation for more than 250 years.Volunteer Opportunities
Morven is undergrowing dramatic growth - in both its physical structures, interior galleries, and gardens. We have reinstalled our first floor galleries to tell a richer, fuller story of Morven's inhabitants and their lives. Our volunteer corps has been, and continues to be an integral part of Morven’s day-to-day operations. Morven's volunteers collectively contribute hundreds of service hours annually. It is a great way to learn more about Morven and the history of New Jersey, meet new people and feel a part of the stewardship of a National Historic Landmark.
Current volunteer opportunities include:
- Morven is seeking enthusiastic, outgoing, and inquisitive individuals ages 16 and up to volunteer as docents/guides.
- Docents are trained by Morven's Curator of Education to conduct tours for visitors that promote a deeper understanding of Morven and New Jersey history.
- Docents also may assist with educational programs and events storytimes, scout activities, Morven in May, Fourth of July Jubilee celebrations, among others
- The museum is open for tours Wednesday through Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Tours currently last about 35 minutes and run at 11:00 a.m., 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m., and 2:00 p.m. The minimum commitment we request from our docents is two 4-hour shifts per month.
- Garden volunteers work alongside Morven’s Horticulturists tending historic gardens. This year is an exciting one with the grounds undergoing a tremendous redesign according to historic styles reflected in Morven's history.
- Volunteers assist with the annual heirloom plant sale "Morven in May" by arranging and pricing plants and helping shoppers choose the perfect plants for their garden.
- Garden volunteers give Garden Tours, trained by our Horticulturists, on occasions including 4th of July Jubilee, every week throughout Spring, Summer, and Early fall, and other events as requested.
- Garden volunteers meet most Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to noon and are directed by Morven's horticulturists. All tools and materials are provided.
- There are as many types of volunteer opportunities as there are events at Morven!
- Volunteers lend a helping hand to Morven’s staff for events and programs, assisting guests during events including pajama storytime, craft activities/gingerbread house workshops, all year round programs including Morven in May, Fourth of July Jubilee, and the Festival of Trees, among others.
- Volunteers assist in a variety of fundraising efforts and administrative and clerical activities including mailings and office tasks.
- Days and hours vary for event volunteers and work with your schedule
We'll work with your schedule.
55 Stockton StreetPrinceton, NJ 08540
- Teaching / Instruction
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Docent requirement: two 4-hour shifts/month