Exhibit hall volunteers are the face of the Kentucky Science Center. Likely to be the first person a visitor interacts with, the volunteer helps them have an engaging, educational and memorable experience in our exhibit halls. Volunteers answer questions, help guide and explain the exhibits and activities, help with cleaning and restocking of exhibit materials, and assist school children and their chaperones with arrival orientation and exhibit interaction.
VOLUNTEER ASSIGNMENTS: Since the Kentucky Science Center caters to a wide range of ages and interests, the Volunteer may do likewise, working throughout the exhibits in the Center. Or they may choose to 'specialize’ in one area of interest or in one age group. For example, those with interest and experience working with younger children may choose to volunteer in Science in Play, while those who prefer more general audiences may select to volunteer in World We Create (focuses on science, tinkering, making), World Around Us (natural science and environment), or World Within Us (human anatomy and health)-depending upon the interest and experience of the volunteer. The Discovery Gallery and Chemistry Kitchen, areas that focus on small group activities and demonstrations are other areas a volunteer may want to focus. Other assignments include school field trip greeting and orientation, and special programs and events such as monthly Science Celebrations.
- Help visitors interact with the exhibits by answering questions and working the exhibits with them.
- Assist visitors with hands on science activities and walk up demonstrations
- Monitor guest behavior to ensure a safe and comfortable exhibit experience.
- Perform small format demonstrations such as cart or tabletop activities as skill level dictates
- Make sure that all exhibit consumables are replenished and in good condition
- Alert KSC staff to any exhibit that needs attention- malfunction, dirty, damage
- Be knowledgeable about the Kentucky Science Center including safety and emergency procedures
- Experience and/or interest in science, education or related field; love learning and enjoy working with people
- Experience and/or comfortable speaking and interacting with people of all ages; outgoing, friendly, approachable.
- Organized, dependable and responsible; able to work with limited direct supervision
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Excellent communication skills
- Must pass a background check
Learning Facilitators are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months with 12 or more hours of service per month committed in 3-week increments. Available hours are between 9am and 5pm Sunday - Thursday and 9am to 9pm Friday and Saturday.
Volunteer Learning Facilitators are considered as much a part of the Visitor Experience (VE) Team as paid staff. After completion of their KSC Orientation conducted by the Volunteer Department, all Learning Facilitators will receive the same on-the-job orientation and training from Visitor Experience Team as given to paid floor staff. Volunteers will also have the opportunity to participate in customer service and emergency procedures trainings as well as a behind the scenes tour of the Science Center.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training