The Kentucky Science Center presents programs and activities all across the Commonwealth and southern Indiana. The Volunteer Learning Facilitator helps ensure that the students and families we meet have an educational and entertaining experience in a variety of both indoor and outdoor settings. As such, the Volunteer provides critical assistance for students, families and other audiences in and around Jefferson County through interacting with and helping present small format activities, camps and programs, assisting in the set up and take down of activities, props, tables and banners, and ensuring that the offsite experience is both educational and memorable.
- Engage children and/or parents, school students and other offsite audiences in science festivals, expos, in-class activities, community events and other offsite programs.
- Assist in activity and/or booth set up and take down: props, activities, banners, signage
- Connect and engage participants with questions or conversation about activities
- Perform small format demonstrations such as tabletop activities
- Be a positive representative of Kentucky Science Center in the community
- Experience, knowledge or interest in science, education; love of learning
- Comfortable with large and small groups in a variety of settings; presentation skills a plus
- Organized, dependable and responsible; able to work with limited direct supervision
- Able to work 4 to 6 hour shifts
- Able to follow verbal and written instructions, have excellent communication skills
- Must be able to provide own transportation to the offsite location
- Must pass a background check
Offsite Program Learning Facilitators are asked for a minimum service commitment of six months with 12 or more hours of service per month. Offsite programs are booked on an as needed basis so dates and times will vary; will be able to provide at least 2 weeks’ notice for pending programs. Time commitment varies between a few hours and day-long. Weekday, weekend and some evening hours are available; schedule is flexible.
All volunteers participate in the New Volunteer Orientation. Once orientation is complete, the Offsite Learning Facilitator will receive orientation and training in the Visitor Experience (VE) Department, followed by training in specific offsite programs. Since Volunteers are considered an integral member of the VE staff, Volunteers work schedule will be subsequently determined by VE.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 13
- Orientation or Training
- Offsite programs happen throughout the community.