Want to gain experience working on creating a social enterprise in a developing country? Many grassroots Community Based Organizations (CBOs) have a real desire to distribute essential clean energy technologies in their communities without electricity, running water, and modern fuels for cooking. However, in setting up businesses they face three hurdles:sufficientlabor, knowledge, and financing.
ENVenture is a non-profit organization that mentors and seed finances CBOs to learn how to run a sustainable clean energy enterprise in their village. We are seeking Business Development Fellows that will serve as a business coach for our rural CBO partners to enable them to launch a sustainable enterprise selling clean energy technologies across Uganda. You will be based at their location site and you will gain first-hand experience on rural entrepreneurship. Placement is for 3 months.
- Work closely with the Executive Director of the CBO to establish an enterprise that sells small-scale clean energy products, including but not limited to solar lights, solar home systems, improved cookstoves, fuel briquettes, and water filters.
- Conduct market research with the CBO in the community to determine uptake and price points.
- Develop relationships with local clean energy manufacturers to set up order processing and delivery
- Accounts manage the loan provided to ensure that all receipts, invoices, and purchase orders are accounted for and shared with ENVenture.
- Work with the CBO staff to create a marketing campaign around the enterprise.
- Determine future orders, costs, profitability, and margins, as well as cash flow.
- Maintain progress reports with ENVenture, and at the end of the position, submit a summary of all work done during the time with ENVenture and the local partner.
- Develop rural retail marketing campaigns.
- Grow sales.
- Test enterprise mobile applications.
- Business Administration or relevant
- Keen interest in clean energy technologies
- Previous experience working in developing countries preferred, but not required
- Able to live in a challenging environment and work in places without electricity
- Have an open mind - you are there not only to advise, but to learn.
Testimonial from Shu Fen Ong Stanford '15 Fellow, "I believe that I was my most motivated, creative, inspired, energetic, independent and passionate self during those weeks in Uganda as the work meant a great deal to me."
Please send your resume and cover letter to Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Financial Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Business Planning
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training