Position Title: Matching Grant Program Intern
Department/Division: Refugee Resettlement
Reports to: Associate Director, Self-Sufficiency Programs
Location: Arlington, VA
The Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc. (ECDC), established in 1983, is a non-profit, community-based organization that advocates on behalf of refugee and immigrant issues; conducts cultural, health education, and socio-economic development programs; and resettles refugees in the U.S. through a network of affiliate partners. While organized to respond initially to the needs of a growing Ethiopian community in the Washington, D.C., area, ECDC from its inception has been serving newcomers from diverse cultural backgrounds while maintaining a focus on African refugees and immigrants.
The Matching Grant (MG) program, funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement, supplements refugee resettlement programming within ECDC’s affiliate network by providing employment services to eligible clients. The program helps refugees, asylees, victims of trafficking, Cuban/Haitian entrants, certain Amerasians from Vietnam, and Special Immigrant Visa holders. Since ECDC began administering the program in 1995, it has assisted over 8,000 clients.
Through the MG program, ECDC’s affiliates provide a range of services to help clients obtain employment quickly. In addition to these direct employment services, they provide maintenance assistance in the form of a monthly cash allowance, rent and utilities payments, and funds for transportation. The primary purpose of these services is to help newcomers gain employment within 120 to 180 days of arrival in the U.S.
Internship Summary: The Matching Grant (MG) Program intern provides administrative support to ECDC’s national program staff, conducts research on best practices, collects and analyzes data, and produces deliverables to enhance ECDC’s HQ and affiliate network capacity.
- Collect, review, and analyze data related to MG programming.
- Work with affiliates to share information on challenges and best practices.
- Develop job readiness/financial literacy training material to distribute to affiliates for classroom instruction.
- Identify new strategies and opportunities for resource development and volunteer engagement.
- Identify new economic integration opportunities for participating clients throughout ECDC Matching Grant affiliate network
- Assist in troubleshooting ECDC’s database as needed
- Assist in collecting, compiling, and editing MG client’s success stories.
- Assist in developing training and technical assistance tools for ECDC HQ and affiliates staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated passion for advancing the socio-economichuman rights of refugees, asylees, immigrants, and other displaced persons
- Prior experience and/or interest/knowledge in domestic refugee resettlement and/or other refugee-focused programs.
- Prior experience and/or interest/knowledge in cross-cultural communication, education/curriculum development, volunteer engagement; and/or resource development
- Prior academic coursework in the following study fields: political science; anthropology; international relations; global studies; social work; non-profit management; public administration; sociology, economic development, or similar fields of study.
- Strong written and verbal communication and organization skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office. Online database and/or website skills are a plus.
- Ability to plan and manage work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to relate professionally to and collaborate with diverse individuals in a multicultural environment.
Please submit, by mail or e-mail, (1) a cover letter; (2) a résumé; and (3) a writing sample (3-5 pages) to:
Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
901 S. Highland Street
Arlington, VA 22204
Fax: (703) 685-0529
Qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
- Adult Education
- Project Management
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Case Work / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Transportation Assistance for...
- Resource Development Intern
- Refugee Reception and Placement...
- Be a Refugee Family's "First...
- Refugee Integration Programs...
- Refugee Health Internship
- Refugee Case Management...
- Be a Refugee Family's "First...
- Youth Life Skills Intern
- Matching Grant Program Intern
- Preferred Communities Program...