Left Forum Volunteers Needed for:
Website Development and/or Design
Winter 2017 and Spring 2018
The Graduate Center, City University of New York
Left Forum seeks organized and tech-savvy individuals to work alongside our volunteers and interns in managing our growing Website. There is a major development process taking place at the Left Forum moving from drupal 6/7 to 8. This volunteer opening will provide you with a rare opportunity to contribute to this formative process. You can work remotely, as we use slack to communicate. It will also enable you to hone your technical and organizational skills, and gain valuable, high-profile experience in the academic and nonprofit arenas.
The position will help build an individual’s strengths in the areas of programming, and/or systems administration, configuration, operation and content management, and/or in database and data management. If you are interested in helping to build the website into a high-traffic, highly user-engaged site, this volunteering opportunity is for you.
This volunteer position can be modified to fit your interests and/or schedule. Depending on the time you have to give and the areas you would be interested in helping out in, this volunteer position can focus on a specific project or have a general focus that develops as new projects arise. You will also have an o pportunity to develop, design, and implement your own project.
- Assist in or even lead web operations (Drupal 8) including website configuration, displays (views), reports/exports, and content production
- Build a team with other developers
- Work with events coordinators to develop the website
- Assist in researching, configuring and applying potential web applications (e.g. using open-source software) for online conference production, e.g. panel/event submission forms, event calendars, user/organization profile pages, video galleries and more
- A plus: Familiarity with migration and integration of data and media from various sources is a plus
- Ad-hoc technical and database-focused projects
BACKGROUND AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of git/github.
- Knowledge of drush, composer, Drupal, CSS, HTML
- Knowledge of apache servers, MySQL databases
- Knowledge of PHP is good to.
- Experience with open source applications is a plus
- Strong organizational skill
- The ability to work from abstract to concrete applications
- The ability to prioritize and handle a variety of projects
- Applied written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to work effectively, both individually and in a team
- Familiarity with grassroots organizing and social justice is a plus
- Need to be responsive to communication when working remotely.
- We use slack to coordinate.
We're a small organization with a dedicated group of staff, organizers, and volunteers, leaving lots of room for your creativity. We understand that every volunteer’s schedule is different and would be thrilled to have you commit a couple hours a week or more (if you are able). This opportunity can begin immediately or according to your upcoming availability. Please note: this volunteer opportunity is unpaid. We also need to clarify that a lot of self-learning is involved.
ABOUT LEFT FORUM:
Left Forum is the largest annual progressive conference in the country. Also engaged in a range of events year-round, the Forum brings together thousands of conference and event participants to discuss pressing local, national, and global issues; to better understand commonalities and differences, as well as alternatives to current predicaments; or to share ideas to help build social movements. Speakers at the New York City events include Noam Chomsky, Angela Davis, Harry Belafonte, Arundhati Roy, Naomi Klein, Michael Moore, Cornel West, Bolivian Vice President ?lvaro Garc?a Linera, Kshama Sawant, Amy Goodman, Slavoj ?i?ek, Grace Lee Boggs, Marina Sitrin and Immortal Technique.
Please contact Marcus Graetsch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web Design / UX
- Website Programming
- Web Design
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment