ROLE: Every Wednesday morning, our Food Rescue Volunteer uses their car to pick up produce from the Feeding San Diego Mobile Food Pantry Truck in Barrio Logan. After arriving to the Mobile Food Pantry, the Volunteer reviews the food available and coordinates with our staff to determine which foods should be picked up. The Food Rescue Volunteer then collects the desired items and returns to Kitchens for Good.
PURPOSE: The produce delivered by volunteers is used by our students to practice their culinary skills and is prepared into healthy meals for local hunger relief agencies.
TIME & COMMITMENT: 8AM-9AM - Weekly or Biweekly - 2-month commitment
- Driving and carrying 50+ lbs of produce
- Communicating with Feeding San Diego and KFG staff
- Collecting produce on-site and packing it into crates
- Start: Kitchens for Good, 404 Euclid Avenue, San Diego, CA 92114
- Partner Site: 414 S. 31st Street San Diego, CA 92113 (rear parking lot)
- End: Kitchens for Good, 404 Euclid Avenue, San Diego, CA 92114
- Ability to pass DMV Driving Record Screening and provide proof of automobile insurance
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and have access to a cell phone
- Must be punctual and courteous; prioritizes safe driving practices
SUPPORT: Food Rescue Volunteers participate in an orientation and "ride along" training guided by the Volunteer Coordinator. A schedule of shifts and protocol for shift coverage will be provided. Food Rescue Volunteers are welcome to share shifts amongst themselves - the Volunteer Coordinator facilitates this process.
GET INVOLVED: Want to help us expand our food rescue? Please email email@example.com or call (858) 472-8413 to express your interest in this role.
- Food Delivery / Distribution
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-month service term