Legal Clinic Administrator/Interpreter (Bilingual Spanish/English)
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
WhereFirst Lutheran Church (Downtown San Diego)Rosa Parks Elementary (City Heights)Hoover High (City Heights)San Diego, CA 92101
Summary Description: The Clinic Administrator will serve as the front line face of the Community Law Project (CLP) in conjunction with CLP’s mission and goals. CLP is a legal clinic of California Western School of Law (CWSL). CLP works to provide sustainable and competent legal services to low income and indigent members of the local community, while advancing the profession of law by instilling a commitment to public service in California Western School of Law students. CLP offers its legal services in collaboration with its professional partners in other disciplines in order to offer holistic problem-solving solutions to its clients.
Qualifications: Bachelor Degree (or in progress of receiving a Bachelor’s Degree) preferred. Must be available for one of the following: Every other Monday evenings per month from 5:15 p.m. - 8:15 p.m.; every other Tuesday from 11:30 a.m. - 2:15 p.m.; every other Friday per month from 8:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Six months commitment required.
Computer Skills: Basic operating knowledge of Windows, Word, Power Point, and Excel
Skills Required: Commitment to the provision of quality legal services to the indigent; Excellent organizational and communication skills; Significant understanding or willingness to learn about legal and social issues affecting homeless and low income clients; Spanish language proficiency required.
Essential Functions and Specific Duties (including but not limited to):
Communication / Public Relations
- Greet clients and answer questions of potential clients about clinic procedures and policies
- Take names of clients on sign in sheet
- Interpret for Spanish speaking clients, as needed
Organizational / Administrative
- Manage setting up and taking down of clinic each session
- Regularly assess clinic supplies and forms and submit list of additional materials or forms that are needed to ED
- Maintain client files, clinic forms and all clinic materials in organized fashion
- Assure that names / legal areas on sign in sheet are correct at end of evening
- Enter and maintain client, student and volunteer attorney data
- Translate materials, as needed
- Data Entry
- Legal (General)
- Basic Computer Skills
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 8 hours per month; alternating every other week
- Legal interpreter experience and/or ability a plus