Have a passion for food and nutrition? Attend our online training!
DONATE TO THIS
25 people are interested
Join us for an online webinar training to volunteer for upcoming opportunities in your area!
Wednesday, May 20th from 6-8 PM.
To RSVP, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will send you information on how to login to our online system to join the virtual training on May 20th!
We can't wait to meet you!
Who we are:
Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters works to make sure every kid has healthy food every day. Through nutrition education courses, Cooking Matters helps families maximize the benefits they receive through federal nutrition programs like SNAP (food stamps) and WIC (Women, Infants and Children). Founded in 1993, Cooking Matters has been featured by First Lady Michelle Obama's Let's Move! campaign and recognized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for excellence in nutrition education. Cooking Matters is nationally sponsored by Walmart. To learn more, visit http://cookingmatters.org/.
What we do:
Cooking Matters Massachusetts volunteers make a positive impact in the community and help end childhood hunger in America. Through six-week, interactive cooking courses, they empower families at risk of hunger with the skills and confidence to prepare healthy, affordable meals.
- 3 hour commitment per week for a six week course
- Courses are held state-wide at community organizations
- Courses are scheduled Monday-Friday, between 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM
- Instructors combine their own knowledge and experience with the lesson plans provided
- Culinary Instructors - are usually culinary school graduates, currently enrolled in a culinary training program, have at least two years working as a cook or a chef, or are very confident as a home cook.
- Class Assistants - help before, during and after classes. Duties may include shopping for food, handing out materials, engaging participants, set up and clean up.
- Nutrition Instructors - are typically graduates of or enrolled in dietetics programs or have at least two years working in a nutrition or dietetics position.
About Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters
383 Dorchester Ave., Suite 230, South Boston, MA 02127, US
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters empowers low-income families with the skills to stretch their food budgets so their children get healthy meals at home, as part of the No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in America. Participants learn to shop smarter, use nutrition information to make healthier choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals. Cooking Matters helps families maximize the benefits they receive through federal nutrition programs like SNAP (food stamps) and WIC (Women, Infants and Children).
Cooking Matters serves families across the country through:
- Hands-On, Six-Week Courses
Community partners that serve low-income families offer six-week Cooking Matters courses to adults, kids and families. Each course is team-taught by a volunteer chef and nutrition educator and covers meal preparation, grocery shopping, food budgeting and nutrition. Adult and teen participants take home a bag of groceries at the end of each class.
- Interactive Grocery Store Tours
Cooking Matters at the Store tours provide families with hands-on education as they shop for food, giving them skills to compare foods for cost and nutrition. Participants learn how to plan and budget for healthy, affordable, and delicious meals for their families.
- Mobile, Online and Educational Tools
Recipes, videos, toolkits and fun kids’ handouts are available at CookingMatters.org and in the smartphone app, Cooking Matters.
Founded in 1993, Cooking Matters has been featured by First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let's Move! campaign and recognized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for excellence in nutrition education. Cooking Matters is nationally sponsored by Walmart. To learn more, visit Cooking Matters.org.
24 Chatham StWorcester, MA 01609
March 9, 2020
- Cooking / Catering
- Adult Education
- Orientation or Training