Join El Buen’s growing Family Literacy Department by assisting in our on-site education classes. We are looking for volunteers with a passion for teaching, to work as a Tutor for our Adult Basic Education Program Plazas Comunitarias. We need Tutors for Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6:30pm to 8:30pm and Friday mornings from 9:30am-11:30am. These volunteers will be working directly with our Family Literacy Coordinators to ensure that we provide an enriching and smooth client friendly program. Responsibilities may include:
- Read, Speak, and Write in Spanish
- Teaching one on one or in a small group of 2-4 adult students who need help learning reading, writing, math and science in Spanish.
- Promoting literacy by reading with students
- Reading outloud instructions for students to complete book assignments
- Assigning homework from textbooks that will later be reviewd
- Encouraging adult students to continue to study to receive their primaria and secundaria certificates from Mexico’s secretary of education once they complete our program.
If this sounds like something you're interested in, please fill out our volunteer request application and join us on January 11th, for our volunteer information session.
The application can be found at the link below:
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Minimum one day a week
- Must be fluent in Spanish