Education Decision Maker
56 people are interested
Children in foster care long for a safe, loving family. CASA and EDM volunteers are empowered by the courts to help make this dream a reality by not only bringing positive changes to the lives of these vulnerable children, but also to their children and generations to come. In doing so, volunteers enrich their own lives as well!What Do CASA and EDM volunteers Do?
- They listen first. Then they act.
- CASA volunteers are appointed by judges to advocate for the best interests of children who have been abused and/or neglected. EDM volunteers advocate on behalf of a child’s educational needs by fulfilling the legal parental role for making educational decisions on behalf of the child.
- CASA volunteers get to know their child by talking to everyone in his/her life: parents, relatives, foster parents, teachers, medical professionals, attorneys, social workers, etc. EDM volunteers get to know their child and meet with school personnel, caseworkers, and placement facility staff about the child’s educational needs.
- They use the information gathered to inform judges of the child's needs, best interests and wishes.
You do not have to be a lawyer or social worker to be a volunteer! However, you must be at least 21 years old, and pass criminal and child abuse clearances. To be a CASA or EDM volunteer, you must complete 32 hours of pre-service training. You can also choose to become both a CASA and EDM volunteer. As a volunteer, you will be thoroughly trained and well supported by professional staff to help you through your case.
We'll work with your schedule.
1501 Cherry StreetPhiladelphia, PA 19102
- Child Welfare
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 5-10 hours a month
- 32 Hours of pre-service training