As an AmeriCorps VISTA Discovery Fellow, you’ll help build capacity to more effectively deliver innovative science education to an entire community, creating the next generation of science and conservation leaders. There are two VISTA positions currently available:
Program Management and Evaluation: Do you want to gain experience in improving systems to manage dynamic and impactful educational programs? This position is for you! Our Program Management and Evaluation VISTA will evaluate, enhance, and document our visitor engagement and management approaches and support the evaluation of our expansive and growing school-based programming. To learn more and apply click, here.
Technology and Evaluation: Do you want to gain experience learning and implementing technological solutions to help us manage our growing programs? This position is for you! Our Technology and Evaluation VISTA will facilitate a positive interface with organizational technology for our visitors and staff and will support evaluation of our out-of-school programming as well as evaluation of our organization-wide impacts. To learn more and apply click, here.
Beyond the deep level of satisfaction gained through service, you will also develop skills to prepare for future success in non-profit management, systems development, and capacity building. Over time, you will increase your impact with progressive skills and grow your leadership through increased responsibilities. You will receive training and experiences proven to improve project management, leadership, and communication skills while creating an individual growth plan to support your career path. Upon completion of the fellowship you will be prepared to transition into graduate school or the next stage of your career path as a well-rounded professional with the experience, skills, and expertise needed to succeed.
- College graduate with a bachelor’s degree.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Pass a fingerprinting / background check.
- Reliable transportation preferred, with valid Driver’s License, vehicle insurance, and clean driving record.
- Passion for, commitment to, and understanding of AmeriCorps VISTA mission and volunteer service.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the community we serve, such as:
- Graduating from our programs,
- Living in the community of City Heights, or
- Living in or from a community similar to City Heights.
- Interest in project management, developing systems, and managing data.
- Ability to work as part of team in a fast paced, dynamic work environment.
- We believe in our students so they can believe in themselves.
- We value learning, diversity, stewardship, leadership, and passion.
- We do what we say we will do.
- We develop our staff as leaders.
- We build authentic relationships.
- We make an impact on young lives by working as a professional, energetic, and highly successful team.
- 1-2 years of full-time service (approx. 40 hrs/week). A second year is optional and highly encouraged.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
AMERICORPS VISTA CONTRACT:
- Each service contract (max 2 years) includes the following benefits as set by AmeriCorps:
- Living Allowance:
- Approximately $19,000 per year (subject to change) paid on a bi-weekly basis.
- Subject to all applicable federal, state and local income taxes.
- Segal Educational Award:
- Approximately $5,920 upon completion of 12-month service contract or approximately $1,800 end of service stipend.
- Potential for Student Loan Deferment or Forbearance (w/ interest paid).
- To learn more about VISTA and the benefits highlighted above, please visit: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
- Ocean Discovery Benefits and Provisions:
- 1-2 weeks of time off.
- Annual uniform and dress code stipend.
- March 2018
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an AmeriCorps profile here: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/login.do
- Search "Listings", enter "Program Type" (AmeriCorps VISTA), "State" (California), and "Program Name" (Ocean Discovery Institute).
- Select the "Program Name" you would like to apply for then click "Apply Now!"
- Ocean Discovery will review submitted applications and schedule interviews.
If you have any questions, please contact Travis Kemnitz, Director of Talent and Culture, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 858.488.3849.
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Basic Computer Skills
- Database Administration
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 years of full-time service
- Some evening and weekend work required.