This is a nationwide search. We are seeking volunteer Board Member candidates to help lead our non-profit organization. Bethesda is a national non-profit, faith-based Christian organization that supports people with intellectual and developmental disabilities across the United States. To learn more about Bethesda and its mission, please visit https://bethesdalutherancommunities.org
The Board of Directors supports the work of Bethesda and provides leadership and strategic governance. The Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO
- Attendance at quarterly board and committee meetings; participation that is informed and promotes critical thinking, healthy debate and the effective function of the Board as a deliberative, governing body
- Reviewing and approving as appropriate Bethesda’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Reviewing and analyzing outcomes and metrics created by Bethesda for evaluating mission impact
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Serving on committees or task forces, and taking on special assignments
- Ensuring Bethesda’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects all Bethesda stakeholders
- Attesting to the Christian and faith-based perspective of the organization
Bethesda directors will participate in creating a culture of philanthropy at Bethesda. In addition to participation in Bethesda fundraising events, each director is expected to make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity. A culture of philanthropy can also be supported through further volunteer opportunities, speaking engagements on Bethesda’s behalf, or cultivating philanthropic partnerships benefiting Bethesda.
Bethesda Board Members will serve a three-year term, and are eligible for re-nomination for up to two additional terms. Board meetings are held quarterly; committee meetings are held in coordination with Board meetings.
Selected Board Members will be Christian and have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, healthcare, or the nonprofit sector.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, healthcare, or the nonprofit sector.
- A commitment to and understanding of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- A Christian walk that is commensurate with the faith-based orientation of Bethesda
Service on Bethesda’s Board of Directors is a volunteer role without compensation. Bethesda does provide administrative support and pays for all travel and incidental costs related to Board service.
If you are interested in applying, please send your resume to Board.Search@mailblc.org
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Strategic Planning
- Organization Design
- Business Planning
- Business Development
- Brand Development & Messaging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Board meetings are held quarterly
- Selected Board Members will be Christian and have achieved leadership stature