ABOUT THE IRC:
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading non-sectarian non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 28 offices across the U.S. work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency, and ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing
IRC SAN JOSE:
As one of the IRC’s 28 domestic offices, the San Jose office serves refugees, asylees, special immigrants from Iraq and Afghanistan, and victims of human trafficking in Santa Clara County. Since opening in 1975, the San Jose office has resettled over 20,000 refugees, who in turn have helped to build a stronger community. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential case management and immigration services to immigrant families, providing them with the resources and tools to rebuild their lives with safety and dignity.
SCOPE OF WORK: All newly arrived refugees to IRC San Jose attend a series of Cultural Orientation (CO) classes. The CO intern will be responsible for instructing the CO classes. CO classes are targeted to adult refugees and class size or composition will vary. Class will also take place in home, if clients are unable to attend. Additionally, the Cultural Orientation Intern will develop evaluation tools for all CO classes.
- Provide weekly logistical assistance for CO classes, including setting up the physical classroom space, preparing materials, helping with documentation, and transportation training.
- Facilitate monthly CO classes in a multicultural setting.
- Develop and implement basic evaluation procedures for each CO class.
- For each training complete monitoring and evaluation forms to assess client comprehension.
- Contact clients to provide reminders prior to each training session.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with partners, colleagues, and clients in cross-cultural, team based environment.
- Experience teaching or training preferred.
- Excellent intercultural communication skills and experience working with diverse populations.
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to client confidentiality.
- Able to commit to class hours and travel to clients homes for class.
This position reports to the Site Supervisor
- This is an unpaid internship.
- Work related driving would be reimbursed.
- Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than 2 years post-graduation. Course credit is available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter in a single PDF file to the application. Please tailor your cover letter to the position to which you are applying and include the following:
- Up to 3 positions of interest, ranked in order of preference
- Time availability for your internship, i.e. the number of hours you are available each week, specific days and times, and your anticipated start and end dates for interning
- Immediate interview availability, if different from internship availability
- Any requirements for filing your internship for school credit, e.g. total number of hours to be completed or filing deadline
For more information on the application process and timeline, visit our internships page.
- Adult Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Employment Outreach Intern
- Financial Coaching Volunteer
- HOME Volunteer Teams
- VESL Volunteer (Fridays)
- Job Club Volunteer
- Immigration Support Volunteer
- Immigration Outreach Intern
- Reception & Placement Volunteer
- Development Intern
- Housing Outreach & Logistics...
- Volunteer Coordination Intern
- Donations & CIK Intern
- Matching Grant Intern
- Community Integration Intern
- Early Employment Intern
- Youth Activities Volunteer
- Digital Literacy Instructor...
- Housing and Logistics Intern
- VESL Volunteer (MoWe)
- Financial Literacy Instructor...