The shop at Creative Reuse is our most important program. It’s a source of both materials and inspiration for creativity. We are constantly working to make our shop a welcoming, beautiful, and vital space for artists, teachers, families, and creative folks of all kinds.
This position will research creative project ideas for kits, make prototypes of reuse projects, and ultimately put together sets of kits for sale at our monthly Bar Crafts event as well as in our shop. In addition to assembling the items, this position calls for writing fun, quirky, inspirational directions to be included in each kit, and maintaining the section of the shop devoted to these kits.
The Creative Project Kits intern reports to the Shop Manager and will interact with all Creative Reuse team members.
- Exercise your creativity to provide a unique experience for visitors to Creative Reuse
- Develop writing skills with a focus on accessible, fun, quirky instructions
- Learn about reclaimed materials and reuse projects
- Learn about nonprofit operations
- Collaborate with a creative, hard-working team
- Gain experience in merchandising and retail operations
- Meet local artists, educators, and nonprofit leaders
- Assist with merchandising and upkeep of the Project Kits section of the shop
- Research project ideas and make protoypes of possible projects
- Assemble kits based on successful prototypes
- Assist with the facilitation of the monthly Bar Crafts event
- Write instructions for the projects
- Assist with keeping communal areas tidy
- Assist Shop Manager with office tasks
Help with special projects as needed (fundraisers, events, etc.)
Scheme with the Shop Manager regarding the overall vision and awesomeness of the shop
Passion for the environment, creativity, and community engagement
Familiarity with fine art and craft materials, tools, and techniques
Familiarity and interest in the Pittsburgh art scene, art history, contemporary art, the DIY movement, craft traditions, and creative reuse
Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and great multi-tasking abilities
Excellent people skills - outgoing, personable, and with good humor
Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and bend, reach, lift, and stand for extended periods
Excellent grammar, spelling, and writing abilities
Great handwriting and interest in fostering sign making skills
An eye for design, display, and pleasing spacial arrangement
Cultural competency and ability to work effectively with diverse populations
A perfect candidate for this position is:
willing to pitch in whenever and however is needed
professional but also playful
respectful of deadlines and timelines
cooperative and collaborative
a self starter who thrives on working independently
committed to finishing projects swiftly and with quality
able to maintain a sense of organizational priorities over personal priorities
unfailingly dependable and honest
able to easily produce quirky alliteration, puns, and jokes
passionate about educating others about reuse and recycling
committed to recycling, reuse, and other earth-friendly practices
passionate about learning new skills
really, really good at talking to all types of people
Go to: http://pccr.org/internships/2564-2/creative-project-kits-internship/
We accept credit-seeking and non-credit seeking interns throughout the year. Although 120 hours is the standard commitment, we welcome longer internships and may consider shorter ones. Please get in touch with us before applying if you have any questions.
All internships are unpaid, but there are great benefits including pizza parties, shop discounts, and the opportunity to be part of something magical! We are a equal opportunity workplace, and everyone is welcome to apply.
If you have never been to Creative Reuse, we strongly encourage you to visit us before you apply. Find out more about us and our mission, shop, and creative education programs at www.pccr.org
Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse is a growing 501(c)(3) community benefit organization whose mission is to inspire creativity, conservation, and community engagement through reuse.
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 120 hours but flexible based on your needs
- Artist Residency and Gallery...
- Shop Display and Merchandising...
- Bulk Materials and Warehouse...
- Program Materials Management...
- Communications Internship
- Nonprofit Administration...
- Materials Research Internship
- Program Administration Internship
- Online Sales and Marketing...
- Creative Project Kits Internship
- Creative Education Volunteer
- Teaching Artist Internship
- Donation Volunteer