The Bulk Section at Creative Reuse is a unique feature of our shop, and an important resource for the teachers, artists, and creative folks who rely us for materials for their creative projects. The Bulk Section contains a huge and changing variety of materials that customers can mix and match to fill a bag for a flat rate. It takes constant creative care and vigilance to keep it organized, functional, and inspiring. In close cooperation with the Bulk Section is the healthy functioning of our warehouse, where many of our additional bulk materials are stored while they await display in the shop. This position will deal with the organization and operation of both.
The Bulk Materials Intern reports to both the Materials Coordinator and Shop Manager and interacts with all Creative Reuse team members.
- Exercise your organizational skills to provide a unique experience for visitors to Creative Reuse
- Develop skills in process improvement and systems maintenance and creation
- Collaborate with a creative, hard-working team
- Gain experience in retail and nonprofit operations
- Learn about reclaimed materials and reuse projects
- Meet local artists, educators, and nonprofit leaders
- Assist with organization of materials
- Process materials for ideal presentation
Keep the shop and warehouse impeccably organized, tidy, clean, and beautiful
Create signage for the retail floor and ensure signage is kept up to date, appropriate, accessible, friendly, and within the established quirky voice of the Creative Reuse shop
- Ensure the shop is fully and appropriate stocked in cooperation with Materials Coordinator
- Assist with keeping communal areas tidy
- Assist with organization and proper labeling of materials in the warehouse
- Assist Materials Coordinator and/or Shop Manager with office tasks
Help with special projects as needed (fundraisers, events, etc.)
Scheme with the Shop Manager and Materials Coordinator regarding the overall vision and awesomeness of the shop and warehouse
Passion for the environment, creativity, and community engagement
Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and great multi-tasking abilities
Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and bend, reach, lift, and stand for extended periods
An eye for design, display, and pleasing spacial arrangement
Cultural competency and ability to work effectively with diverse populations
A perfect candidate for this position is:
willing to pitch in whenever and however is needed
professional but also playful
respectful of deadlines and timelines
cooperative and collaborative
a self starter who thrives on working independently
committed to finishing projects swiftly and with quality
able to maintain a sense of organizational priorities over personal priorities
unfailingly dependable and honest
able to easily produce quirky alliteration, puns, and jokes
passionate about educating others about reuse and recycling
committed to recycling, reuse, and other earth-friendly practices
passionate about learning new skills
really, really good at talking to all types of people
Go to: http://pccr.org/internships/2564-2/2525-2/
We accept credit-seeking and non-credit seeking interns throughout the year. Although 120 hours is the standard commitment, we welcome longer internships and may consider shorter ones. Please get in touch with us before applying if you have any questions.
All internships are unpaid, but there are great benefits including pizza parties, shop discounts, and the opportunity to be part of something magical! We are a equal opportunity workplace, and everyone is welcome to apply.
If you have never been to Creative Reuse, we strongly encourage you to visit us before you apply. Find out more about us and our mission, shop, and creative education programs at www.pccr.org
Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse is a growing 501(c)(3) community benefit organization whose mission is to inspire creativity, conservation, and community engagement through reuse.
- People Skills
- Interior / Exterior Design
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 120 hours but flexible based on your needs
- Artist Residency and Gallery...
- Shop Display and Merchandising...
- Bulk Materials and Warehouse...
- Program Materials Management...
- Communications Internship
- Nonprofit Administration...
- Materials Research Internship
- Program Administration Internship
- Online Sales and Marketing...
- Creative Project Kits Internship
- Creative Education Volunteer
- Teaching Artist Internship
- Donation Volunteer