We are piloting a new program that combines an artist residency with the creation of a gallery space within the Creative Reuse shop. This internship will be responsible for all aspects of the smooth sailing and healthy functioning of both the residency and gallery.
This position reports to the Shop Manager and will interact with all Creative Reuse team members.
- Exercise your creativity to provide a unique experience for visitors to Creative Reuse
- Develop skills in program development and direction
- Learn about gallery standards and art handling
- Develop skills in artist relations
- Learn to write for show cards, wall text, art applications, and the web
- Learn about nonprofit operations
- Collaborate with a creative, hard-working team
- Learn about reclaimed materials and reuse projects
- Meet local artists, educators, and nonprofit leaders
- Work with Shop Manager to develop a timeline and work plan for launching the pilot program
- Develop language regarding the program for the website and advertising
- Assist with creating a call for artist applications and assist with the jurying process
- Assist with creating artist guidelines and expectations
- Assist with the planning and marketing of opening parties
- Assist with art installation and gallery set-up
Keep gallery area impeccably organized, tidy, clean, inspirational, and beautiful
- Assist with keeping communal areas tidy
- Assist Shop Manager with office tasks
Create signage for the gallery space and ensure signage is kept up to date, appropriate, accessible, friendly, and within the established quirky voice of the Creative Reuse shop
Help with special projects as needed (fundraisers, events, etc.)
Scheme with the Shop Manager regarding the overall vision and awesomeness of the gallery and artist residency program
Passion for the environment, creativity, and community engagement
Familiarity and interest in the Pittsburgh art scene, art history, contemporary art, the DIY movement, craft traditions, and creative reuse
Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and great multi-tasking abilities
Excellent people skills - outgoing, personable, and with good humor
Must be able to lift 50 pounds, and bend, reach, lift, and stand for extended periods
Excellent grammar, spelling, and writing abilities
An eye for design, display, and pleasing spacial arrangement
Cultural competency and ability to work effectively with diverse populations
A perfect candidate for this position is:
willing to pitch in whenever and however is needed
professional but also playful
respectful of deadlines and timelines
cooperative and collaborative
a self starter who thrives on working independently
committed to finishing projects swiftly and with quality
able to maintain a sense of organizational priorities over personal priorities
unfailingly dependable and honest
able to easily produce quirky alliteration, puns, and jokes
passionate about educating others about reuse and recycling
committed to recycling, reuse, and other earth-friendly practices
passionate about learning new skills
really, really good at talking to all types of people
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 120 hours but flexible based on your needs
- Artist Residency and Gallery...
- Shop Display and Merchandising...
- Bulk Materials and Warehouse...
- Program Materials Management...
- Communications Internship
- Nonprofit Administration...
- Materials Research Internship
- Program Administration Internship
- Online Sales and Marketing...
- Creative Project Kits Internship
- Creative Education Volunteer
- Teaching Artist Internship
- Donation Volunteer