We're looking for a creative, enthusiastic individual with a marketing background to join our non-profit volunteer board for Serendipity German Shepherd Dog Rescue, based in St. Louis, Missouri. If you love marketing--from email to social media to campaigns--and you love dogs, this role is perfect for you.
In this role, the incoming Board member will find himself or herself flanked by a cast of experienced fellow members, each committed to leading one or more standing "working board" committees that make our all-volunteer, foster-based rescue organization run.
Fundraising? Covered. Volunteer development? Covered. Foster development? Covered. Finance, investments, administration, and veterinary counsel? All covered by fellow board members for whom those roles are the ones THEY enjoy.
If this sounds good to you, we hope you'll read on for more specifics about YOUR potential role in helping SGSDR continue its successful thirteen-year history of rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming German Shepherd Dogs in need in the communities we serve.
Board Responsibilities & Participation
The Board provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance to support the work of SGSDR. Board members are elected to one-year terms and are eligible for reelection during the organization’s annual meeting of directors.
The SGSDR Board of Directors serves as both a governance body for the non-profit Corporation and as a volunteer working board supporting the operations of the rescue.
The Committee Chair for Marketing is responsible for developing and leading execution of the annual marketing and public relations plan. This includes optimizing the impact of marketing channels (email, social media, etc.), setting content calendar priorities, and developing content for key campaigns and events.
- Organize and lead essential volunteer roles for effective leadership and execution of marketing program priorities (Examples: Marketing Coordinator, Social Media Administrator, Email Marketing Lead, Content Writing Lead, Graphic Design Lead)
- Evaluate and optimize effectiveness of existing marketing channels and content types
- Identify and explore potential benefits of new marketing channels and content types
- Evaluate unplanned or ad-hoc marketing opportunities for potential benefit, timeliness of impact, and effective use of volunteer time
- Set consistency standards for the SGSDR brand, including tone of voice, visual brand images, and use of brand marks.
- Collaborate with fellow Committee Chairs and key Volunteer Leaders responsible for Program Dogs, Volunteer Development, and Foster Development to source priority awareness, recruitment, and fundraising campaigns as needed with capable marketing team volunteers
- In collaboration with fellow Committee Chairs and key Volunteer Leaders, design efficient operational practices, procedures, and policies that optimize volunteer productivity and discourage bureaucracy
- Support Volunteers and Volunteer Leaders in their efforts toward our rescue mission; honor our volunteers’ investment of time, hearts, and spirits across all aspects of rescue operations
- A personal commitment to the vision and mission of the rescue
- Prior experience in multi-channel marketing is strongly preferred
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to lead, engage, and develop diverse volunteer teams with compassion, humor, and diplomacy
- Prior supervision experience of employees or volunteers preferred
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and pragmatism
- People Skills
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 5-20 hours per month
- Prior experience or self-taught proficiency in marketing and social media management preferred.