Citizenship Instructor Volunteer opportunity in the library in Miami/Miami Shores/Hialeah
50 people are interested
The Volunteer Citizenship Instructor teaches English literacy and U.S. History and government to adult Lawful Permanent Residents to prepare them for the naturalization interview and test to become a U.S. citizen.
Instructors for Citizenship Program - Areas of Assistance:
- Conducts routine group education classes on naturalization process, U.S. history and government and civic engagement at the assigned libraries
- Does mock interviews for students
- Explains USCIS naturalization eligibility requirements, rights and responsibilities of the Lawful Permanent Resident and US Citizen
- Ensures that students understand main issues and concepts of the naturalization process
- Distributes class materials to students
- Suggests new class materials to the Program Manager
- Ensures that all students sign in and complete in-take forms at each class
- Collects attendance sheets and completed in-take forms.
- Participate and promote Hispanic Unity as a Social Services Agency
- Perform other job related duties as required.
The ideal volunteer should have a strong sense of commitment to the principals and values of Hispanic Unity of Florida. H/she shall demonstrate deep knowledge and full understanding of U.S. History and government. Instruction experience is a plus. Strong written and oral communication skills are a must. This position requires strong organizational skills.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Hispanic Unity of Florida
5840 Johnson Street, Hollywood, FL 33021, US
Empowering immigrants and others to become self-sufficient, productive and civically engaged.
Founded in 1982 as a haven for immigrants and refugees, HUF has grown to serve diverse and multi-cultural working families from the United States as well as more than 25 other countries. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help more than 18,000 clients of all ages, from preschoolers to adults, successfully transition to a productive new life.
HUF offers 12 programs and services in four languages - English, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Sign Language.
South Florida’s unique geographic location has made it a popular destination for the Caribbean and Latin American immigrants, as well as others from throughout the world. Often arriving with little more than the clothes on their backs, a few dollars in pocket change, with no job, language, skills or understanding of the life that awaits them on America’s shores - they still come with hopes and dreams. Hispanic Unity of Florida is proud and grateful to be South Florida’s "Ellis Island" for new immigrants arriving in South Florida.
We'll work with your schedule.
8240 NW 7 AveMiami, FL 33150
March 16, 2020
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- 1.5h per week, Long-term commitment is prefered,
- Spanish is needed