Position Title: Preferred Communities Program Intern
Department/Division: Refugee Resettlement
Reports to: Associate Director, Community Integration Programs
Location: Arlington, VA
The Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc. (ECDC), established in 1983, is a non-profit, community-based organization that advocates on behalf of refugee and immigrant issues; conducts cultural, health education, and socio-economic development programs; and resettles refugees in the U.S. through a network of affiliate partners. While organized to respond initially to the needs of a growing Ethiopian community in the Washington, D.C., area, ECDC from its inception has been serving newcomers from diverse cultural backgrounds while maintaining a focus on African refugees and immigrants.
The PC program is funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) and helps refugees with vulnerabilities become self-sufficient and integrated by providing them with individualized intensive case management (ICM). The twin goals of the PC program are the successful resettlement and integration of especially vulnerable refugees (and other ORR client populations); and the enhancement of PC service providers’ agencies’ capacity to serve such populations at new or established PC locations.
Internship Summary: The Preferred Communities (PC) Program intern provides support to ECDC’s PC and Refugee AmeriCorps programs, conducts research on best practices, collects and analyzes data, and produces deliverables to enhance ECDC’s HQ and affiliate network capacity.
- Collects, reviews and analyzes data related to PC clients.
- Assists in collecting and tracking program reporting documents.
- Works with affiliates to compile information on challenges and best practices.
- Conducts research on best practices for serving client’s with long-term medical conditions.
- Assists in collecting, compiling, and editing PC client’s success stories.
- Assists in developing annual Fact Sheet.
- Assists in developing training and technical assistance tools for ECDC HQ and affiliates staff.
- Assists in planning and executing training and other events at ECDC’s annual national conference/training.
- Assists in planning and executing events such as the World Refugee Day, Refugee First Thanksgiving, and other similar occasions.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Interest/Knowledge in domestic refugee resettlement and/or other refugee-focused programs.
- Sophomore-level standing at college or university. Majors: Political Science, International Relations/Global Studies, Conflict Resolution, Social Work, Sociology, Public Health, Education, or similar fields of study.
- Strong written and verbal communication and organization skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office. Online database and/or website skills are a plus.
- Ability to plan and manage work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to relate professionally to and collaborate with diverse individuals in a multicultural environment.
- Flexibility and a sense of humor.
Please submit, by mail or e-mail, (1) a cover letter; (2) a résumé; and (3) a writing sample (3-5 pages) to:
Ethiopian Community Development Council, Inc.
901 S. Highland Street
Arlington, VA 22204
Fax: (703) 685-0529
ECDC offers this internship as either a part-time (20 hours/week) position or full-time (40 hours/week) position for the Fall, Spring, and Summer.
This internship is unpaid. However, ECDC offers a local travel stipend of up to $100/week.
- Grant Writing / Research
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Critical Thinking
- Social Work
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Transportation Assistance for...
- Resource Development Intern
- Refugee Reception and Placement...
- Be a Refugee Family's "First...
- Refugee Integration Programs...
- Refugee Health Internship
- Refugee Case Management...
- Be a Refugee Family's "First...
- Youth Life Skills Intern
- Matching Grant Program Intern
- Preferred Communities Program...