21 people are interested
JerseySTEM is an all volunteer, grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the Innovation Gap, the Opportunity Gap, and the Gender Gap in STEM education for children in underserved communities in New Jersey. We are dedicated to partnering with local schools and other organizations to create and enhance STEM-oriented educational opportunities for students in grades 5-8 as part of their paths towards college and career readiness. We provide free of charge, after school, project-based, hands-on, team structured programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc., last 10 weeks and are taught predominantly by volunteer college students that we train, transport and mentor as they donate 2 hours/week to the program.
JerseySTEM is seeking a volunteer Academic Director who oversees the design of all the various programs offered by JerseySTEM. The role focuses on ensuring that all programs are properly designed to achieve learning goals and meet quality standards, which includes overseeing the curriculum, recruiting and managing curriculum developers, working with Program Leaders, ensuring faculty are trained and perform as needed and evaluating program results.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Recruit and manage curriculum developers for unique and interactive educational programs and courses for students
- Interview and recruit teachers/coaches for appropriate classes
- Plan faculty meetings, orientations, training and workshops
- Plan budget, schedule and identify resources for JerseySTEM classes
- Develop educational processes and policies to meet curriculum goals
- Provide training to faculty on latest instructional technology and techniques
- Work with Program Leaders to order/stock books and supplies
- Develop pre/post assessments for classes and evaluate student progress
- Experience in curriculum design and implementation
- Experience in curriculum evaluation and assessing student progress
- Experience providing direction to others to achieve goals
Required Education and Experience
- Courses and/or degree in education preferred
- Position is ideally suited for a teacher or educator
- STEM knowledge or background preferred
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- 3-5 hrs/week if role is shared; 10+ hrs if not
- virtual position, comfort working in a virtual organization leveraging text, email, online tools