JerseySTEM is volunteer, grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the innovative, opportunity, and gender gaps in STEM education for children in New Jersey’s underserved communities. We are dedicated to partnering with local schools and other organizations to create and enhance STEM-oriented educational opportunities for students in grades 5-8 as part of their paths towards college and career readiness. We provide free of charge after-school, project-based, and hands-on structured programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc. Classes last up to 10 weeks and are predominantly taught by trained volunteer college students. Volunteers typically donate an average of 2 hours/week to the success of the program.
The PR Content Writer is responsible for leading the PR projects in partnership with our field reporters, creative teams, media partners, and channel collaborators to execute successful PR strategy around each project, which would include publishing stories in major newspapers, feeding content to social media teams, interviewing with talk shows and radios to increase awareness and meeting our growth objectives. This might also include copy-writing for our major marketing assets.
This position reports to the Director of Marketing
What’s in it for the Volunteer
- Work with savvy entrepreneurs and business leaders and gain experience at a not-for-profit startup
- Work on most cutting-edge technologies and tools and gain experience
- Get your work published in major newspapers and media and build resume
- Build professional network and references. Our executive and management teams are very experienced business leaders and committed for your personal success who would love to see you succeed in your careers.
Essential Functions of the Volunteer Position
- Use your copy writing skills to craft copies for our newsletter, brochure, website, print materials etc.
- Use your PR skills to manage editorial projects end-to-end
- Follow Graphic charter guidelines and partner with creative teams and media partners and own the entire release process across channels, be it press, short interviews, social media etc
- Pick and choose the projects that you like the most
- Be accountable for the delivery by deadlines set by management
- Sharpen your skills by working alongside few of the smartest people in the industry
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creating Writing and Story-telling
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Ideal for those with PR/English/Communications backgrounds but other volunteers aspiring to be writers/marketers are welcome to apply
Weekly Time Commitment Required
Minimum of ~8 hours per week commitment preferred
Position can be performed virtually
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- ~8 hours a week; position is virtual
- Comfort/experience working as part of a virtual team
- COA: STEM Speaker Series...
- ADM:Executive Assistant to the...
- LID:Academic Director
- SIT: Community Manager (Newark,...
- UNI: Mentoring program coordinator
- COA: App Inventor Coach
- DEV: Development: Retail Stores...
- MKT: Event organizer/recruiter...
- MKT: Public Relations for a...
- DEV:Corporate Engagement Manager
- ADM:Girls STEM Parties
- COA: Computer Science Education...
- GOO: Google Apps/Calendar support
- COA:Coach/Mentor Engineering...
- COA: Java Tutor for High School...
- MKT: PR/Communication
- DEV: Development: Sponsors...
- HRS: Organizational Chart...
- DEV: Development: NationBuilder...
- INS: High School Counseling for...