Assist customers with basic computer or mobile device questions in order to decrease customers’ apprehension of computers and to allow customers to complete their personal tasks with confidence.
- Guide patrons trying to access websites, emails, etc.
- Aid customers with printing and scanning.
- Monitoring adult library computers during each session and working with the public as needed; no appointments.
- Help customers download e-books, audiobooks, or other items on mobile devices.
- As time allows, assist customers with formatting MS Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Patience and natural teaching ability to work with senior citizens
- Comfortable with computer technology, mobile devices, and MS Office software
- Commitment to the library’s digital literacy vision and mission
Training and Support Provided: Orientation to the library and at least monthly contact with the volunteer coordinator to discuss customer needs, monitor progress and provide problem-solving support.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Utilize computer skills to help customers with their computer challenges
- Make a difference in the customer’s day by supporting them in a task that may be stressful and daunting.
- Impact customers by introducing them to unfamiliar technology and giving them the confidence to try new things.
- Basic Computer Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Microsoft Office Suite
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 4-8 hours per week, minimum 6 month commitment