We are Searchers.
We are over 600 strong worldwide. We believe in our mission to end violent conflict.
It’s our purpose- our call to action.
A Searcher understands our vision of a world where:
Differences stimulate social progress, rather than precipitate violence
Respect for and cooperation with those we disagree with is considered the norm
A Searcher is a dedicated, enthusiastic and passionate individual, committed to our values.
Shared Humanity. Empathy. Impartiality. Inclusivity. Courage. Hope. Humility. Audacity.
Search for Common Ground (SFCG or Search) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. The world’s largest peacebuilding organization, with headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 650 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 49 offices and in 44 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. You will be joining other highly motivated Searchers with a good team spirit and through commitment and dedication, have opportunities to grow.
The Safety & Security Operations internship is a sensational learning opportunity at Search. S/he will be working with the Operations Manager to discover best practices, minimum standards, and create an action plan for an enhanced duty of care for our staff around the world.
The successful candidate will learn and be a valuable part of the team creating a clear foundation for safety and security throughout the organization, assisting in creating individual office plans, global strategies, and working with established experts to ensure the accurate and timely dispersal of information and project goals. S/he will have shared responsibility for developing and maintaining standard metrics to judge progress and quality of our duty of care.
In addition, this internship will also gain exposure to various other areas of vital Operations work here at Search, including organizational insurance, global inventory and documentation, travel support for the organization, and much, much more. The intern will also be a part of the team with responsibility to provide logistical support for our upcoming office move.
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Global Operations and the position is based in Washington, DC.Work Environment
Search for Common Ground has a great work environment with a mission of peace-building in the world. Search is a stimulating and richly rewarding organisation to work for - full of hard-working, friendly, bright, enthusiastic, and passionate people dedicated to the work they do. There are many opportunities for team-building and involvement in staff events (e.g. monthly staff meetings, peace-building films, and brown bag sessions, such as informational seminars by employees). The organization has won numerous awards over the years.Responsibilities
- Coordinating with country and field offices on metric gathering on Safety & Security and other required global documentation.
- Working globally with both HQ and country teams to develop and complete security management plans providing vital duty of care support for all of our staffers.
- Coordinating with subject matter experts and the Operations Team to develop standards and guidelines for security resources and planning.
- Providing additional ad-hoc support to each cone of Operations work at Search, including travel management, documentation support, contract coordination, and other required reporting.
- Working with the Operations Manager to ensure a positive learning internship experience by defining goals and interests that can be met through the intern’s time with the organization.
As internship descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position-holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.Essential Qualifications
- A undergraduate or graduate student with an interest/major path in International Affairs, Conflict Resolution, or studies with a global or regional focus such as Asia, Africa, or the Middle East.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail
- Strong desire and ability to learn and grow
- Strong computer and information system skills, with particular proficiency with the G Suite (Google Apps) suite of applications a big plus.
- Reliability and dependability is crucial for the success of this role
- Ability to work well independently while being proactive in reaching out for support when needed or desired
- Highly motivated and energetic with a positive customer service attitude
- French or Arabic language proficiency is a plus, but not required.
This is an unpaid internship opportunity. It is expected to run from January - May 2018, but the dates are adjustable for the right candidate. This position is based in Washington, DC and the successful candidate is expected to be based locally and work onsite during the majority of their internship. Preference will be given to candidates who are available for more than 20 hours per week.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resumehere to apply . Please be sure to include a projected start date, your particular area of focus and what you are looking to get out of an internship opportunity, and to mention where you found this posting. No phone calls please. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Please see our web site www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment