Background: Center for Changing Lives (CCL)’s vision is a community where everyone thrives. Too often, lack of resource and economic opportunity limit participants’ choices and capacity to achieve their goals and vision. CCL partners with those held back by lack of resource and economic opportunity in order to uncover possibilities, overcome barriers, and realize their potential in the form of partnership through coaching, training and educating, coalition building, advocacy and organizing. CCL’s core services of financial, employment, and resource development coaching are supported by the time, skills, and dedication volunteers.
This fall, CCL partnered with organizations all over the North Side of Chicago to provide support to those coming from Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. Twice a week, a CCL representative goes to Humboldt Park and helps refer and support those seeking resources.
The Hurricane Maria Relief Volunteer is responsible for representing CCL at the weekly relief efforts resources fair held in Humboldt Park. This volunteer will speak with people who are seeking support, specifically in employment and financial goals. This volunteer will be able to explain core CCL services and coordinate entry and intake by scheduling appointments on a laptop or collecting individual's name and contact information and coordinating with a coach to follow up. This position will be interactive with the community and is the first step in a member’s path toward achieving economic and housing stability.
This volunteer will understand and be able to connect people to CCL's services while making the individual feel heard and supported. Volunteers will be trained by CCL staff and/or interns.
We are seeking a volunteer who can commit to at least two 4.5-hour shifts per month on Tuesdays from 9:45-2:15. This tabling event would be successful with a volunteer who is comfortable working alone, once trained, to help CCL be a visible presence in the community.
To be most successful in this position, volunteers should:
- Have excellent communication and customer services skills, keeping a calm and welcoming attitude
- Feel comfortable interacting with people
- Be flexible and willing and able to adapt to changing situations, procedures, responsibilities, and personalities
- Have excellent listening skills
- Ask relevant and thoughtful questions
- Be comfortable offering and receiving feedback
- Be well organized
- Bilingual (English and Spanish)
- Provide space and support for those facing lack of resource, support, and economic opportunity
- Build your network of professionals and community members working for structural policy change surrounding low-income housing, employment, and resource allocation
- Opportunity to develop professional and nonprofit skills and relationships that can be used on a resume
- Opportunity to build strong employment references
- Opportunity to lead on an advocacy project or create a group within CCL
- Opportunity to attend trainings
- Disaster Response
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per week
- Bilingual, cultural competency