Development & Engagement Intern
Description of Position
This is a unique opportunity to work in a small non-profit and support the needs of the Development Department, with focus on the organization’s largest fundraising event, the Prepare For Winter Dinner. You will succeed here if you possess extreme attention to detail, creativity, resourcefulness and a collaborative spirit. The first phase of this opportunity requires zealous solicitation of businesses to support the event’s silent auction and the second phase involves follow-up and creativity for ways to enhance the auction prior to the dinner. This position does not involve direct-service to the women we serve at On The Rise, but there is opportunity to enjoy lunch or a break with program participants; therefore, an individual who possess sensitivity to others, and an appreciation for different life experiences and choices will do well in this environment.
Special Events support - Responsibilities include:
- Support planning and execution of events - such as the Prepare For Winter Dinner, third party events (Empty Bowls), in-house events (summer barbeque, Thanksgiving & Holiday parties), and volunteer days.
- Solicit silent auction items for events; manage data entry of items received in a timely manner, (this will be a large part of the weekly work-load)
- Create Silent Auction packages to be auctioned off at event
- Support the Development team (the Director of Development and Communications, the Development & Engagement Coordinator)
Donor and volunteer stewardship, information management - Responsibilities include:
- Actively seek out online resources for volunteer opportunities, maintain volunteer postings and communicate with interested individuals about the ways they can get involved.
- Manage volunteer calendar of in-house and off-site volunteer activities, (e.g. volunteer lunch cooks, Moving Home Drive leaders) via email and phone.
- Help coordinate volunteer projects, greet volunteers and donors at the door, and accept donations and accurately record donations.
- Learn the development database, Donor Perfect Online, and assist with accurate data-entry such as in-kind donations that are received.
- Represent On The Rise via telephone, email, and through personal contacts within the community.
- Remain flexible and pitch in as needed with other duties that arise, e.g. assist with collecting, sorting, and organizing of clothes, toiletries, and the other in-kind donations that are directly distributed to program participants. Ensure women have access to these tangible essentials throughout the week.
Commitment to our Mission & Skill Preferences
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interest in fundraising, special events, and public relations/ communications.
- Outgoing personality and comfortable with speaking in front of groups of people
- The ability to work on multiple tasks at once
- Proficiency in MS Office, (Adobe Photoshop and In Design knowledge a plus)
- Professionalism, organization and self-starting approach to work is highly desired
- Be a team player and have a sense of humor
- Personal discretion and the ability to gauge boundaries while in the Safe Haven and interacting with Program Participants.
We are searching for a team player who has a desire to learn. As the Development activities and the Safe Haven Program take place in the same space, the candidate must be comfortable engaging with program participants on a daily basis.
18-20 hours per week, suggested 3 days per week starting January 2019 through June 2019 (with the possibility of extension). There is flexibility with work schedule should there be a conflict, hours can be reduced or work schedule shifted.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé with a focus on why this internship is of interest to you to Keyton Sheely, Development & Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com.
We'll work with your schedule.
341 BroadwayCambridge, MA 02139
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Planning / Management
- Graphic Design
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 20
- 18 hours a week for 6 months