PURPOSE: To enhance the museum guest’s understanding and appreciation of arachnids, to see the impact that arachnids have on our world and the environment, and the various benefits that arachnids provide.
- Greet all guests in a friendly, respectful and enthusiastic manner.
- Relate to all guests in a friendly, enthusiastic, and respectful manner.
- Anticipate and answer guest questions as they arise.
- Ability to represent the museum in a professional and knowledgeable manner at all times.
- Provide accurate and current information on the exhibit, the items and creatures displayed, and other museum information as necessary.
- Work well with others and maintain guest interaction.
- Explain or demonstrate the best way to view the exhibit and help visitors who are in need of assistance.
- All Virginia Living Museum volunteers must work at least 1 shift per month.
- Strong interest in arachnids and natural sciences.
- Dependable and flexible.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time.
- An enthusiastic, outgoing personality and a desire to work with and educate others.
- Ability to initiate interactions with strangers.
- Ability to represent the museum in a positive way through attitude, appearance, and actions.
- Ability to maintain focus on guest interactions during unstructured time.
- Ability to remain in assigned area during the shift, with the exception of breaks.
- Exhibition Arts
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 11
- Orientation or Training
- minimum volunteer requirement is 4 months
- 11-14 year olds MUST have an adult apply with them, 15 and older may volunteer alone