About Out and About Uptown's Coast
Out & About Uptown's Coast partners with the Uptown Coastal Initiative to raise awareness of Uptown's lakefront and parks through nine experiential, educational sessions that offer attendees rich opportunity for meaningful engagement with the ecology and culture of this Great Lakes coastal community.
The project hopes to connect residents, workers, and visitors, and strengthen links between the well-being of the coastal ecosystem and the health and well-being of those who live, work, and visit Uptown’s coast.
Highlighting local expertise and creating a space for diverse attendees to learn about and explore the area together, each session’s unique lens will target different subjects and circle back to universal accessibility to and stewardship of Uptown’s coast across a spectrum of disciplines.
The events in the series are:
- Urban Ecology: Native ecology including wildlife habitat in Uptown’s coastal zone
- Cycling Uptown: Using bike rides to benefit health, reclaim public space, and improve access to the coast
- Underutilized Community Spaces: Discover underutilized spaces on Uptown’s lakefront
- Urban Agriculture:
Farming as infrastructure for human and coastal health
- Alternative Transit: Transportation infrastructure and how it impacts accessibility of the coast
- Historic Preservation: Connect past and present through the history of coastal Uptown
- Mental Wellness & Uptown's Coast: Explore the therapeutic benefits of nature-based recreation
- Eco-Justice: Citizen participation in community security within the coastal zone
- Green Infrastructure: Building by design to blend structure and nature
- Read more here [ http://www.ica-usa.org/?page=uptowncoastal2017]
At the close of Out & About Uptown's Coast, a toolkit highlighting the different approaches taken and lessons learned will be created to help inform future programming as well as participant stewardship and engagement around sustainability in the coast.
ICA is seeking a volunteer to:
- Assist in content curation for the toolkit
- Create visuals, graphics, and/or templates for the toolkit's design
- Potentially attend an ICZ event
- Technical Writing
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Graphic Design / Print
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment