10 people are interested
JerseySTEM is an all volunteer, grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the Innovation Gap, the Opportunity Gap, and the Gender Gap in STEM education for children in underserved communities in New Jersey. We are dedicated to partnering with local schools and other organizations to create and enhance STEM-oriented educational opportunities for students in grades 5-8 as part of their paths towards college and career readiness. We provide free of charge, after school, project-based, hands-on, team structured programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc., last 10 weeks and are taught predominantly by volunteer college students that we train, transport and mentor as they donate 2 hours/week to the program.
JerseySTEM is seeking a volunteer Legal Liaison. The organization needs to draft contracts with volunteers, partners, providers, and others. We use the ProBono Partnership for support on all matters related to the legal management of JerseySTEM. These matters include: contracts with landlords, with staff/contractors teaching classes, with sponsors, and with volunteers. The role of the Legal Liaison is to interface with the ProBono Partnership to help expedite the process, answer questions and finalize legal documents on behalf of JerseySTEM. While doing so, the Liaison will also interact with JerseySTEM managers involved in the particular matter.
Respond to requests from JerseySTEM managers to address a legal matter. Dialogue with the manager about the request as follows:
- Either the matter can be handled by JerseySTEM management and no legal pro-bono involved is requested
- Or the matter is beyond the judgement or knowledge capacity of JerseySTEM management and requires involving the ProBono Partnership for legal guidance.
- initiate discussion with ProBono partnership
- Field call with ProBono volunteer attorney to explain matter
- Follow up with JerseySTEM manager with guidance, recommendations, contract drafts, etc.
- Provide weekly updates to JerseySTEM management and Board of Directors, as needed
- Ability to create clear and succinct emails and other written correspondence
- Ability to manage requests and follow up with both internal and external clients
- Ability to be proactive regarding legal matters affecting JerseySTEM
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Volunteer must be willing to invest some time to learn and understand JerseySTEM and be proactive around organization's legal needs
- Volunteer with a legal interest and/or expertise, e.g., legal administrative assistant, paralegal or individual with some legal knowledge, is preferred.
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Legal (General)
- Literacy / Reading
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- 2-3 hours/week
- position can be performed virtually