I AM YOU is a volunteer organization currently operating in one refugee camp within
mainland Greece. I AM YOU started in October 2015 in response to the immediate emergency needs
of refugees arriving in Lesvos, we are a grassroots organisation that believes in the power of people
and that there is a better way of providing aid. Our mission is to serve displaced populations and fight
prejudice, by putting our common humanity first.
Volunteering with I AM YOU means that you will join a dynamic team of individuals, who work
together to support one another while bringing a sense of humanity in the provision of services
aimed at improving the lives of displaced people. Our organization is volunteer-led, making use of the
specific skills and expertise of the team. We celebrate diversity and believe it makes us stronger.
We are currently looking for an English educator to support our current teacher and Education Coordinator.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Educator will plan and carry out English lessons for Adults and Children in six week cycles with clear start and end dates.
Implement /Change/Maintain Current English Program
- Plan and prepare lessons
- Teach up to three different levels of English
- Constantly look to improve the program we offer in conjunction with other staff
- Take daily attendance of participants
- Produce report of the lessons implemented
- Past experience teaching English as a second language
- Acknowledges and respects gender, cultural, ethical, social, and religious constraints
- Demonstrates an understanding and desire of working with residents in a particularly vulnerable environment
- Interest in working with migrant and refugee children
- Good written communication skills
- Team player mentality and creative problem-solver
- Capacity to work in fast-paced and emotionally-intense contexts
- Good command of the English language
- Basic IT knowledge
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about the work required
- Police/Background Check is also required for this position
- University degree in Education or Teaching
- ESL training
- Knowledge of IELTS examinations
- Language skills in Arabic
- Technical experience in a humanitarian aid context
- Knowledge of Child Safeguarding Policies and Child Protection Minimum Standards
Autonomous, dynamic, empathetic, thorough, organized self-starter with solid interpersonal skills.
The work is voluntary and the ideal candidate will be available for at least two months. You will not receive any economic compensation and volunteers are expected to pay for their own flights and meals during their stay. I AM YOU sponsors volunteers with shared transport on location and special rates for accommodation.