The Welcome Home Group is a 501(C)3 non-profit providing free career readiness to transitioning U.S. military members, veterans, and military spouses since 2012. We provide individualized career coaching services that include an Interactive Resume, interview assistance, employment resources, mock interviews, and job sourcing.
After extensive research into the causes of veteran unemployment, we have developed a program that showcases a high level of success with the placement of veterans into higher paying positions, with a higher retention rate.
The Welcome Home Group is run exclusively by volunteers. We are dedicated to helping veterans transition into civilian employment. For more information about our mission, our services, and how to get involved as a corporate partner, employment partner, donor or volunteer, please visit our website at thewelcomehomegroup.org.
Community Outreach Specialists play an important part in the growth and development of our organization. Your job is to assist TWHG in promoting our organization, its values and mission, and exposing it to as many veterans, organizations, and community members as possible.
As a Community Outreach Specialist for TWHG, you will be responsible for sourcing avenues for exposure and marketing our organization to them. You will be provided with marketing materials and guidelines to assist you throughout the process.
Your role is to ensure that potential clients and volunteers understand our Interactive Employment Program, ways that they can participate, and ways they can assist us in giving back to our nation’s veterans.
Community Outreach Specialists spend, on average, approximately 8-10 hours monthly, identifying and communicating with members of organizations and individuals who may have an interest in collaborating with The Welcome Home Group.
Experience Background in marketing, communications, community service, or other relevant experience
Able to connect with community members in order to communicate program information and value
An excellent written and spoken use of the English language; able to use web-based apps, and edit Word documents. Able to attend public events and coordinate set up
Ability to Execute Sound Judgement:
Capable of determining possible outlets for good exposure and proper avenues for accessing them
Job Description Title: Community Outreach Specialist
Provides information about TWHG program to the local community, shares updates on events, and brings awareness to the community in order to increase veteran/spouse exposure and participation, volunteer recruitment, and fundraising opportunities
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Must be able to respond to client and/or staff within 24 hours, primarily via email
- Develops and implements a successful community outreach program designed to promote our vision in order to increase awareness and participation
- Identifies local opportunities for exposure and conducts outreach efforts to ensure maximum exposure to both organizations and military members and their spouses
- Promotes TWHG to local veteran organizations, via telephone, email and, if possible on-site
- Identifies organizations or companies that promote volunteerism as possible sources of volunteers for TWHG
- Thoroughly documents all activities using the company's web-based CRM system
- Maintains clear channel of communication with all parties involved, and actively reports challenges to upper management
- Participates in required introductory training seminars and monthly virtual staff meetings
- Experience in event coordination, communications, public relations, or a related field
- Knowledge and experience with community development principles and tools that strengthen community participation
- Technologically proficient, with experience in Microsoft Word, email, and web-based data entry systems
- Must be proficient in the use of the English language
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, and set and achieve goals, without direct supervision
- Efficient in analyzing information and presenting it in a concise and structured manner
- Able to effectively communicate TWHG procedures and values to clients and organizations
- Maintains high standards of consistency and professionalism
- Must be willing to attend events to promote TWHG
- Ability to attend virtual training seminars or meetings held on evenings and/or weekends if required. Contact with prospects may need to be scheduled outside of traditional business hours.
- Must have a quiet work environment, and uninterrupted computer, internet, and telephone access
- Resource Development / Management
- Public Relations
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours per month