We are seeking one volunteer who can commit to weekly volunteering on Mondays from 9am-1pm.
We are also seeking on-call volunteers who can come occasionally for a 4 hour shift sometime M-F 9-5 when weekly volunteers are absent.
Are you a motivated and passionate individual looking to help end homelessness? We need you at Street Sense Media!
Street Sense Media is seeking Newspaper Distribution Volunteers to provide direct support to empower our newspaper vendors and artists, who are currently, or were formerly, experiencing homelessness. The support you would provide is distributing or selling them newspapers at wholesale- so they can take the public and sell the paper for a profit. This is an important transaction that has a large impact on their economic and social well-being.
- Distribute/sell newspapers to vendors
- Alert paid-staff of any vendor needs or concerns
- Retrieve vendor mail, donations, and messages as requested
- Assist Editorial staff with content-related tasks as needed
- Assist Administrative staff with other office projects as needed
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English
- Basic understanding of computers, word processing and email
- Must have basic math and cash handling skills
- Should be able to navigate office environment which includes walking down hallways and using an elevator or stairs
- Should be able to lift and carry at least 20 pounds over 100 ft or use a dolly
Successful volunteers will need to be able to demonstrate patience and understanding when communicating with people of diverse backgrounds, educational levels, and mental health experiences and abilities.
If interested, please email Dani Gilmour (dani at streetsensemedia.org) with your availability for a 30 minute orientation during our (M-F 9-5) hours, as well as your anticipated start date (these can happen the same day), thank you!
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- 4 hours a week, or on call