YMCA READS! is an after-school reading assistance and mentoring program at Perkins, Jamerson, and Sawgrass Lake Elementary Schools in St. Petersburg, providing opportunities for at-risk and low-income children in Kindergarten through third-grade develop the reading skills they need to succeed in school. Volunteer mentors will work in a small-group environment and will be given continuous support by a full-time program coordinator.
WHO can volunteer? Anyone 16 years or older! No prior teaching or tutoring experience is necessary, just a passion to help children and give back to the St. Petersburg community. A full FREE training and all materials will be provided for you.
WHEN can I volunteer? As little as an hour a week will make a huge difference in a child’s life. Choose one or more hour-long sessions per week that work best for you (Monday-Thursday with sessions from 2:50-3:50 pm and 4:00-5:00 pm each day).
WHERE do I volunteer?
Perkins Elementary (2205 18 th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33712)
Jamerson Elementary (1200 37th St S, St. Petersburg, FL 33711)
Sawgrass Lake Elementary (1815 77th Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33702)
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteer for as little as an hour a week!
- Change a child's future!
- YMCA Leaders Club Chapter Advisor
- Read. Mentor. Make a difference
- From compassion to action- tutor...
- Support Students Now! Today's...
- YMCA Youth in Government Chapter...
- Transform a Child's Future...
- Have a Blast Coaching Kids at...
- Pre-school Garden Attendant
- Coach or Assist a Youth Sports...
- Educate the Future with YMCA...
- One Child + You = Reading Skills...