Share Your Know-How As Parents of Special Needs Kids
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where1663 Mission Street 7th floorSan Francisco, CA 94103
If you are a parent/guardian of a child with a disability, special health care need, and/or a child with an IEP, and you have great communication and organizational skills, we are looking for peer advisors to monolingual Spanish and Cantonese families. Come share your experience and expertise with families just like you accessing services, education and health care in the Bay Area.
The Family Resource Specialist provides families of children with disabilities or special health care needs information, education and peer support on a phone line, at the drop-in center and in the community. Family Resource Specialist staff also provides professionals with information.Responsibilities
- Answering a phone line,
- Staffing the drop-in center in downtown San Francisco
- Outreach and follow up to assigned families,
- Researching disabilities services in the Bay Area
- Attending meetings with families
- Providing follow-up support.
- Must be bilingual English/Cantonese or English/Spanish.
- He or she needs to be both comfortable working in a group and independently.
- Must be a clear thinker, very energetic, and have excellent people skills.
- Must have effective communication skills (both verbal and written) as well as proven organizational skills.
- Must have experience in the disability systems and in working with people as well as demonstrated ability and experience working with staff and clients of varying cultures and backgrounds.
Support Families of Children with Disabilities is a San Francisco non-profit organization that offers parent-to-parent support to families who have children with disabilities, and information and educational services to families and the professionals who work with them. Services include: a phone line, drop-in center, information and referral, support groups, parent mentor program, trainings, workshops, community education, special family events, newsletter and website.
Support for Families is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, parents of children with disabilities, and gays and lesbians are encouraged to apply.
- Child Development
- Special Needs
- Mental Health
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 16+ hours per week
- Bachelors or Masters ideal