About Asylum Access
Asylum Access is a leading refugee human rights organization headquartered in Oakland, CA with substantial operations in five countries plus partnerships in additional countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Asylum Access is the only global organization working to make human rights a reality for refugees in first countries of refuge. Our unique combination of five integrated strategies provides grassroots assistance and changes the legal landscape for refugees and their host communities. By helping refugees assert their rights, we are putting power back into their hands. Our work transforms the traditional approach of endless humanitarian handouts to a sustainable solution that gives refugees the tools to provide for themselves and make choices about their own lives.
Asylum Access envisions a world where refugees are seen as people with rights, not just people with needs. Asylum Access believes that by empowering refugees to assert their human rights, we can create effective, lasting solutions for refugees around the world.
Asylum Access seeks a Thought-Leadership Writing and Research Intern for the winter 2018 internship period. The candidate filling this position will support the Executive Director with research and writing for thought-leadership material targeted at a variety of outlets and platforms. This internship is an excellent opportunity to build writing, research and communication skills and offers firsthand exposure to the work of a global nonprofit.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Duties may include but are not limited to
- Support and assist executive director with blog posts, articles, and other thought-leadership writing
- Conduct background research and draft research memos
- Annotate or edit drafts as needed
- Identify and pitch written pieces to news and opinion media sites
- Maintain and update LinkedIn blog
- Develop and implement dissemination strategy in coordination with Executive Director
- Otherwise support Executive Director in positioning Asylum Access's views and agenda in US and global media
- Editing experience
- Understanding of tone and audience variations in thought-leadership writing
- Experience with online blog-format publishing (eg LinkedIn blog or similar)
- Experience pitching to editors of national news media
- Strong research skills
- Strong writing skills, particularly related to persuasive non-legal writing
- Excellent attention to detail
- Impeccable grammar
- Comfortable with online blog-format publishing (eg LinkedIn blog or similar)
- Interest in international human rights and/or related topics
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups. Candidate should be culturally sensitive
- Basic working knowledge of Gmail, Google Drive, Ms Office and related tools (Docs, Sheets, etc.)
Hours and Location of Work
This position will require 10-25 hours per week, preferably based out of Asylum Access’s office in Oakland, CA. Remote work is a possibility but will be negotiated on an individual basis. Schedule and hours are somewhat flexible and official committed hours and work time will be formalized between the selected candidate and the position supervisor.
This is a part-time, unpaid internship.
Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com , along with a non-academic writing sample if available (e.g. news media, opinion, etc). In your cover letter, please describe your reasons for applying, relevant qualifications, and how you learned about the position.
Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants in need of accommodation during the interview can contact HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Technical Writing
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Grant Writing / Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18