Cuyana is one of the hundreds of towns which are forgotten by the government of Peru. Like other small towns in the Peruvian jungle, Cuyana does not have drinking water, drainage, nor electricity. The people in this community spend most of their days working the land and raising livestock. A considerable number of the population only has had the opportunity to finish elementary school. During weekdays, The children attend school for about four hours. The few teachers who are available do their best to educate these kids as much as they can. Although many parents are eager to help their children with their school work or share knowledge with them, they do not have the necessary education to accomplish this task.
Sami Khuyay school provide free education for children and teenagers. Sami Khuyay create an educational environment where kids can receive help with their homework, learn about other school subjects, increase creativity through art workshops, and improve social abilities by organizing and participating in activities. All our plans will be supported by an awesome team of volunteers - full of respect, love, dedication, and patience- who will enhance the natural skills of the children of Cuyana to achieve a brighter future.
Conditions to be a volunteer:
- Open your heart to a new culture and way of living. Be self-sufficient and patience to carry out your obligations, classes, etc.
- The minimum time is 2 weeks. (Of course there are exceptions)
- We need to communicate what we feel that's why ability to speak basic Spanish or English is requirement.
- Upon arrival volunteers will have a personal interview with school director or founder.
- Attend to the weekly volunteers meetings (monday morning, thursday night)
- During the period, volunteers are prohibited from carrying contraband, flammable materials, explosives, and other hazardous items, and must comply with the regulations governing the use of sites, space or facilities. We must be responsible.
- Volunteers must be open to show and receive Sami Khuyay! (endless love!).
Sami Khuyay offer to the children and teenagers the possibility to learn that there are other ways of living in Peru and worldwide where there are an space for respect, empathy and love. All kind of knowledge and projects are welcome!. You can teach any subject, english, arts, sports and play with kids, help them do their homework. Or be part of the building process.
- Child Development
- Visual Arts
- General Education
- Family Therapy
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 2 weeks min.