JerseySTEM is an all volunteer, grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the Innovation Gap, the Opportunity Gap, and the Gender Gap in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) for children in underserved communities in New Jersey. We are dedicated to partnering with local schools and other organizations to create and enhance STEM-oriented educational opportunities for students in grades 5-8 as part of their paths towards college and career readiness. We provide free of charge, after-school, project-based, hands-on, team structured programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc., last 10 weeks, and are taught predominantly by volunteer college students that we train, transport and mentor as they donate 2 hours/week to the program.
JerseySTEM is looking for a volunteer PR Manager who will:
- Develop and implement JerseySTEM's PR strategies that deliver on the goal of raising JerseySTEM's visibility in the community
- Compose and generate professional press releases with the goal of securing publication of JerseySTEM activities and events in local and/or national publications. It will include integrating corporate sponsor feedback when they are also featured.
- Build media contacts for press/media distribution list, including editors and reporters of local and national publications. Ensure contacts cover new areas as the outreach program expands.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with members of the press, while professionally representing JerseySTEM.
- Coordinate scheduling with the reporter and photographer when necessary.
- Role may involve providing direction to PR college volunteer.
- Possess expert writing and proofreading skills, with an emphasis on copywriting, technical writing and press releases. Ideally knows AP Style writing.
- Ability to confidently speak to members of press as well as with JerseySTEM internally.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in professional writing or field related to writing and/or PR
- Preferred, not required: Bachelor's Degree in Public Relations, Journalism, English, Communications or similar field
- Technical Writing
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Public Relations
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours a week. Can be performed virtually.
- Possess expert writing and proofreading skills, copywriting, technical writing, press releases.
- COA: STEM Speaker Series...
- ADM:Executive Assistant to the...
- LID:Academic Director
- SIT: Community Manager (Newark,...
- UNI: Mentoring program coordinator
- COA: App Inventor Coach
- DEV: Development: Retail Stores...
- MKT: Event organizer/recruiter...
- MKT: Public Relations for a...
- DEV:Corporate Engagement Manager
- ADM:Girls STEM Parties
- COA: Computer Science Education...
- GOO: Google Apps/Calendar support
- COA:Coach/Mentor Engineering...
- COA: Java Tutor for High School...
- MKT: PR/Communication
- DEV: Development: Sponsors...
- HRS: Organizational Chart...
- DEV: Development: NationBuilder...
- INS: High School Counseling for...