The Trailblaze Challenge is a one-day endurance event that gives participants the opportunity to hike a 23.7 mile journey along the terrain of the Colorado Trail. Participants will enjoy the picturesque mountains while challenging themselves physically, and raising much needed funds to grant the wishes of children in Colorado! This is a hike, not a race and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts.
Hike Leaders are an incredibly important part of the Trailblaze Challenge. These volunteers lead the hiker training program that prepares participants to tackle the trail on event weekend.
This volunteer position provides coaching and motivation to Trailblaze Challenge participants in the weeks leading up to event weekend. Hike leaders are experienced hikers/endurance athletes, have knowledge of local hiking trails, understand equipment, importance of hydration and preparation for long hikes, and most importantly are able to motivate and effectively lead other experienced to novice hikers.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Help develop weekly training schedules for participants to achieve their hiking goals
- Coordinate and lead at least 2/3 of all training hikes (Summer 2018) and assist with trail selection and permitting
- Begin each training hike with appropriate announcements and/or clinics
- Ensure participants are supported throughout each training hike and finish safely
- Write weekly "Coaches Corner" training tips/updates for participants
- Maintain ongoing communication with staff and participants
- Assist staff during event weekend and ensure participants have a safe and memorable experience. This includes contributing to the following: event safety, trail sweeping, hiker support and morale.
- Demonstrate good physical fitness and the ability to move confidently and efficiently when traveling on trail.
- Present a positive and commanding attitude on safety when leading a group.
- Demonstrate a high standard of leadership and route finding.
- Show ability to establish effective communication with regard to the hiker’s safety, comfort, and enjoyment.
- Demonstrate a respect and care for the environment.
- Have a proper standard of equipment as required for day hiking trips.
- Previous outdoor leadership experience
- Background in leading trips/clinics/classes is desirable
- Knowledge of Colorado, trails and hiking basics
- Awareness of safety concerns and risk management
- Experience working in a customer service-oriented environment
- Ability to provide positive customer service
- Awareness of, and appreciation for, individual uniqueness and diversity
- Ability to provide a welcoming, inclusive environment for participants
- First Aid and CPR certification required
- Wilderness First Aid and/or Wilderness First Responder preferred
Please contact Caitie Neice, Event Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-750-9474 to apply.
- Outdoor Recreation
- Fitness Instruction
- Sports Coaching
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours/week for 16 weeks