Alameda County Community Food Bank partners with more than 200 food pantries, hot-meal programs, senior centers and other non-profits to distribute millions of pounds of food every year. Some of our "partner agencies," as we call them, pick up the food they distribute from the "shopping floor" at our warehouse in Oakland. We need volunteers' help to maintain the shopping floor -- the individual will aim to serve as another resource (in addition to staff) to whom Shoppers can ask questions, provide product information in addition to specific duties laid out below.
SFV’s are asked to commit to at least one weekday shift which are scheduled as follows:
Shift A- 7:00am-11am and Shift B- 11:00-3pm
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure a smooth flow of daily operations on the shopping floor through the following :
- Safely guiding shoppers through the shopping floor.
- Replenishing the produce section to ensure constant, ample assortment.
- Consistently keeping shelves stocked.
- Keeping floor clean and removing any damaged product from the floor.
- Assist in the perseverance of food safety practices - especially with perishable items.
- Engage and interact with customers to create a positive shopping experience.
- Assist with safely loading agency shopping carts and vehicles.
- Monitoring activity to reduce theft
- Report any suspicious activity on the premise to staff.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Interest in and commitment to the mission of the Food Bank
- Strong oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team setting with people of diverse backgrounds/circumstances.
- Volunteer must be at least fifteen (15) years of age.
- Volunteer must be capable of standing for long periods.
- Volunteer must demonstrate the ability to work with others.
- Volunteer must be willing to commit to six (6) months.
- This position is in an open warehouse environment and requires working for a full shift while exposed to seasonal weather temperatures.
- Volunteers must be comfortable working near and responding to moving vehicles, equipment and loud noises.
- Ability to participate/assist in physical tasks and/or activities which include: bending, reaching, lifting and moving pallets or products weighing in excess of 50lbs.
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 15
- A weekly 4-hour shift for at least six (6) months