Executive Director Role Description
We are looking for a passionate, energetic, self-motivated new OCIB Executive Director (ED). The responsibilities of the ED are as follows:
1) Work in conjunction of the Board of Operation Courage is Beautiful.
2) Establish annual goals, calendar and budgets for OCIB.
3) Oversee the program’s overall implementation. Implementation of the program requires raising funds, procuring products to include in the care packages, soliciting care package requests, and the organization of events to sort donations and assemble care packages.
4) Report to the OCIB Board, which is responsible for oversight and corporate governance at quarterly meetings. The ED will be responsible for the handling of the Form 990 and other relevant federal and state filings.
5) Act as a steward and representative of Operation Courage is Beautiful in a professional manner.
6) Adhere to the policies of the organization including the requirements of a 501(c)3 non-profit and protect the privacy of individuals and sensitive information.
* Estimated 3-6 hours per week for email correspondence, coordination of volunteers, etc.
* Planning and execution of 1 packing event requires 6-10 hours at minimum.
* Overall time commitment depends on established goals.
* Must be located in or around San Diego, CA, USA
* Must be able to lift 25 pounds
* Passion for helping others
* Experience leading others in a paid or un-paid position
* Experience with event planning
* Excellent interpersonal and/or customer relationship skills
* Comfortable with MS Office-type programs, communicating via online platforms, and simple mathematics/accounting
* Background check may be required
This is an unpaid, volunteer position. However, the personal reward for such a volunteer leadership position as OCIB’s ED is boundless:
- Fulfillment and joy from the difference OCIB makes in the lives of our servicemembers
- Sense of community with OCIB volunteers and supporters
- Networking opportunities with individuals, businesses and brands
- Sharpen event planning/coordination skills
- And much more!
Note that offsite corporate events during the work week have historically been reimbursable to the lead event coordinator at $15/hr.
We hope to find OCIB’s New Executive Director as soon as possible or with a 2-month transition period. Guidance and support will continue to be provided by the Board and Past EDs.
Women make up a significant 16% of our active duty military force, yet most morale-building care package programs are geared for men with their men’s socks, soaps, deodorant and magazines. Operation Courage is Beautiful (OCIB) recognizes that we should and can do more to boost the morale of women in the military. OCIB’s mission is to bring a little joy and femininity to our active duty and deployed U.S. servicewomen through care packages geared specifically for them. We send women’s care packages consisting of high-quality women’s personal care products (e.g. face wash, facial moisturizer, body wash, nail care products, makeup, sunblock, feminine hygiene products), women’s magazines and books and notes of thanks and encouragement.
Currently, all package contents are donated to us from individuals, organizations and businesses across the American continent. We engage hundreds of volunteers nationwide and locally in San Diego, California. Since we started our program in 2009, we have sent over 4500 care packages weighing over 24 tons to global locations including Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, North Africa, Europe, South Korea, and naval ships. Requests for care packages are made primarily via our website (approx. 600/year) while additional packages are sent to chaplains for distribution. Funds are raised through grants and individual and corporate donations. We are a volunteer-based 501(c)3 non-profit organization since 2015. Tax ID: 47-4812161.
More information may be found on our website (www.operationcourage.org) and Facebook page (www.facebook.com/operationcourage).
- Social Media / Blogging
- Project Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- approximately 3-10 hours per week