Become a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) with Home Start and help low-income families and individuals! Home Start helped over 3,000 families file their taxes last year and hope to exceed this number for the 2018 tax season. Home Start will start training volunteer’s end of December 2017, to prepare for tax sites to open January of 2018.
- Free training for State and Federal Tax Returns Volunteers (training dates TBT)
- There will be multiple tax sites throughout Central and East San Diego
- Learn how to prepare income taxes plus gain valuable work experience
We have several volunteer roles include:
- Front Desk Liaison (formerly known as the Greeter): Welcome taxpayers as they arrive and ensure they have all their tax documents. Manage walk in flow and appointments.
- Interpreter: Assist with translation of tax return between taxpayer and tax preparer.
- Data Reviewer: Review data from tax documents and double check that it has been correctly transferred to the return.
- Certified Tax Preparer: Trained and certified as an IRS Tax Preparer and in tax law to assist taxpayers with their income tax preparation
The training is made simple and the software Home Start uses to file taxes will set you up to feel confident while filing taxes, even if you have never done taxes before!
*Minimum age for tax volunteer is 18 years, 16 and 17 year olds may be greeters
- Data Entry
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Help us pick up and store...
- Use your tax knowledge to help a...
- Are you a big fan of garage sales?
- A few hours of your week can...
- Help needed at the Thrift...
- Supported Needed in for Tax...
- Opportunities for Fundraising...
- Our Gala is coming and we need...
- HR Volunteer/Intern Needed!
- Help Pass out Food to Families...
- Are you good with kids?