Help end the cycle of poverty in DC by joining the adult education teaching team at the YWCA!
We are looking for a competent, passionate, patient, and reliable volunteer to co-tutor in our evening Workforce and GED preparation program for the Winter Term, which will run from January 8 through April 12, 2018. We need volunteers to assist with Math on Monday and Tuesday evenings, Reading on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, and Social Studies on Thursday Evenings. All tutor groups take place from 6:40-8:00PM, although co-tutors are asked to arrive by 6:30. Group size will typically range from 4-8 students, and each group will have at least two co-tutors.
As part of this volunteer opportunity, you will be asked to:
- Attend pre service orientation / training sessions
- Collaborate with subject based tutor team and YWCA staff on a weekly basis
- Implement students' individual learning plans
- Suggest new activities/simulations/cases to improve overall learning
- Monitor individual student progress and achievement towards individual learning goals
- Receive assistance/support from staff whenever needed
Volunteers will receive orientation and training; prior traditional teaching experience is not required.
Participating as a Volunteer at the YWCA is a wonderful way to expand your personal skill set while reconnecting in a deep and meaningful way with the DC community. Participating also offers the rewards of watching your efforts translate into measurable results for the adult student community. Through participation, you will become part of a positive systemic change in the larger DC community, as success in this YWCA program leads to greater opportunities for sustained economic and social stability for our students and ongoing generations of their families.
AND IT'S FUN!!!
Join us as we change the landscape of DC, one personal success at a time.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2-5 hours/week