Safe Passage, a 501(C)3 non-profit development-focused organization, is seeking volunteers to participate on our Creative Expression Team in 2018. Known in Guatemala as Camino Seguro, Safe Passage's mission is to empower the poorest at-risk children and families who live in the Guatemala City garbage dump community by creating opportunity and fostering dignity through the power of education. Safe Passage is a secular, non-political organization.
The Safe Passage Creative Expression Program inspires self-expression that fosters self-esteem, leadership, confidence, and responsibility, using the creative process to motivate our students to stay in school, stand strong against social risks such as drugs, violence, and gang involvement while creating a culture of peace that empowers the individual, family, and community. Safe Passage is seeking volunteers with experience in all creative arts: drawing, painting, photography, music, dance, poetry, and theater arts.
- Passion for Safe Passage’s mission, commitment to service and ability to engage children, families, staff and volunteers;
- Understanding of teaching methodologies with at-risk, low-income student populations and minimum of one year experience in art education;
- Current or former student of the arts;
- Intermediate Spanish;
- Patient, creative, positive attitude, outgoing, and pro-active;
- Minimum commitment of 5 consecutive weeks.
- Opportunity to work with and learn about an incredible population while gaining professional experience
- Curriculum support/activity ideas provided
- Organizational culture of friendly, supportive relationships in a diverse environment
- Free lunch at the project
- 1 personal day/month of volunteer service
For more information about the organization, please see www.safepassage.org/volunteers.
- Teaching / Instruction
- Music Arts
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Minimum 5 week time commitment.